Chapter Seven

"Camber Leewood to the front office." The intercom pulls me out of my reverie, and I notice every eye on me. Oh crap. What have I done this time?

     Nobody knows about my failed suicide attempt that happened a week and a half ago. When Ivori found me, I could already feel myself slipping from this world, and into some unknown, mysterious land. Unfortunately for me, she 'saved' me, and made me swear not to try it again. Ever since though, I know she has been keeping a close eye on me. She hasn't told anyone because I guess she feels bad for me. I don't know.

     Grabbing my bag full of useless books, I walk to the front of the class, being tripped by some fucktard on the way. The class snickers, but I keep my head down, and shuffle even faster to the front of the room.

     My teacher acknowledges me with a nod of his shiny, bald head, and out the door I go. The halls are empty, so I feel free to run down them, to the office. I could care less if I'm in trouble, I'm just glad I got out of that dreaded class.

     When the office is in my line of sight, I slow down to a semi-speed walk, hoping my face isn't flushed too much. Grabbing the door, I yank it open,the rush of cool, air conditioning hitting me at once. I don't know what it is about offices, but they always seem colder than the rest of the building.

     I see Jerry out of the corner of my eye, sitting in one of the hard, plastic waiting chairs. He gets up, and walks to the front desk, no doubt signing me out.

     Turning to me, he explains what's going on. "Josh's flight is landing in a half hour. Carol wants the whole family there to greet him. She asked me to tell you to behave." I can hear the amusement in his voice, and I roll my eyes, not that he can see.

     The door opens again, and in walks Channing, who is a freshman this year. He's in the basic 'popular kid' uniform, consisting of an Abercrombie shirt, designer jeans, and a pair of Nike Air sneakers. I observe all of this out of the corner of my eye, sighing internally. Why does he feel the need to fit in? It's overrated anyways.

     "Come on kids, we need to get going." Jerry holds the door for us, and I walk out behind Channing.

     We get all of the way out into the parking lot before Jerry gives Channing the same lecture he had given me about ten minutes earlier, in the office. Channing's reaction is the same as mine was, which isn't surprising. We all know how Carol is.

      We get to the vehicle and I silently climb into the back of Jerry's truck, slipping in my earbuds. A second later, I hear the beginning of the song Walk Away by Aloha From Hell. Closing my eyes, I lose myself in the song-it's one of my favorites, but it's such a shame the band broke up, in 2009.

__________________________________________________________

    "Camber, we're here." Jerry calls, turned around, staring at me from the driver's seat. Damn, I must've fallen asleep on the way. For once, I didn't have nightmares, just pure, blank sleep.

     I climb out of the truck, stretching my stiff arms and legs. The ride was forty-five minutes, just enough time to replenish me. The whole time I'm stretching, I make sure my hoodie keeps the scars hidden. If Jerry and Carol saw them, I'd surely be sent to a shrink. Again.

     I follow Jerry and Channing inside, not in a rush to get out of the light drizzle. Inside, the airport is freezing, the air stiff. I haven't been in an airport since I was flown here from Idaho. Ah, bittersweet memories.

     "Jerry! over here." I sneak a glance to see Carol standing at the top of the escalators, waving frantically. She's in a bright orange sweater, her hair in a sloppy ponytail. She looks like a mad woman. Way to make a good first impression, I think sarcastically, tugging on my sleeves.

     We climb the escalator, where Carol kisses Jerry flat on the mouth. I don't have to see to know this, I can here it.

     "Well hello to you too." Jerry, pulls away, and kisses her cheek, whispering something in her ear. Carol giggles like a school girl, and Channing coughs extra loudly, reminding the two lovebirds that we're standing right here.

     "Come on guys. His flight should be landing any minute now. Lzzy, Arejay, Mckenna, Bex, and Ellie are already by the baggage claim, waiting."(A/N: SO SORRY! FORGOT CAMBER HAD A SIS NAMED IVORI WHEN I CREATED HER BEST FRIEND. THE SISTER'S NEW NAME IS ELLIE! SORRY :$) They interlock fingers, and together, we walk over to the rest of the family.

     Waiting, Lzzy and Arejay talk about nothing important, Ivori braids Mckenna's long hair, and Bex and Channing talk sports. I just stand there, staring at my black and purple vans, hoodie on, like the outcast I am.

     Suddenly, everyone shushes. New boy is obviously here. Carol rushes to greet him, while Jerry goes to grab his bags.

     "Oh, hi honey! You must be Joshua! It's so great to finally meet you." Carol's voice is full of joy, and I can here slight rustling, as she no doubtfully gives him a warm, friendly hug.

     "Um, feel free to call me Josh." His feet shuffle, and his voice is raw and deep, like velvet to my ears. I feel a blush creeping on, and use my hair to cover it. My eyes stay glued to the ground, where I notice that he's wearing plain back converse, that have doodles all over them. Nice.

     "Okay, Josh. We're so glad to have you in the family. There is Arejay and Lzzy, the oldest of the crew." Carol gestures, and Josh mumbles a 'hey.'

      "Why can't he stay in my room instead?" Lzzy comments,making Channing and Arejay laugh loudly, Bex to snicker, and Mckenna and Ellie to get a look of complete and utter confusion. Her comment causes me to blush harder for some reason. Stupid emotions.

     "Lzzy! Watch it!" Carol warns, obviously upset that this isn't the perfect family meeting. News flash: Nobody's perfect, Carol.

     Carol finishes introducing everyone. Everyone that is, but me.

     "And finally, this is Camber." The rest of the crew is quiet by now, and the air is anxious. They're obviously worried about my reaction to him.

     "Um, hey, Camber?" I see his hand in front of me, and my eyes go big. No. No way am  shaking his hand. I feel myself starting to shake, praying someone will help me out of this.

     "Camber doesn't talk. Or like touch." Bex speaks up for me, and I let out a sigh of relief almost instantly, as his hand retracts.

     "Oh.Well thanks for telling me before I made a fool out of myself. Seems like we'll get along good as room-ates then." I can tell that he's trying to deflate the nervousness from the air. It works, and everyone chuckles, also relieved.

      In a rare moment, I look up at him, and freeze.

     Oh, my god.

     Those eyes.

PLEASE LISTEN TO THE SONG ON THE SIDE! IT'S TITLED WALK AWAY BY ALOHA FROM HELL IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY SEEN THAT. ALL I CAN SAY ABOUT IT IS THAT THE SONG IS ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL!

PIC ON THE SIDE IS OF JOSH!!!! IT'S PLAYED BY CHRISTOFER DREW. I JUST WANT TO SAY THAT JUST BECAUSE I POST PICS OF WHAT I THINK THE CHARACTERS LOOK LIKE DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE TO GO ALONG WITH THEM. IT'S JUST HOW I IMAGINE THEM

THENOWHEREKID