Chapter 8: Rivendell

"The Valley of Imraldis. In the common tongue, it's known by another name," Gandalf said as they looked at the beautiful scenery of Rivendell.

"Rivendell," Alithia finished, smiling. Gandalf's eyes twinkled at her.

"This was your plan all along, to seek refuge with our enemy," Thorin said angrily, turning round to Gandalf.

"You have no enemies here, Thorin Oakenshield. The only ill-will to be found in this valley is that which you bring yourself," Gandalf said irritably.

"You think the Elves will give our quest their blessing? They will try to stop us," Thorin said in return.

"Of course they will. But we have questions that need to be answered. If we are to be successful, this will need to be handled with tact and respect and no small degree of charm. Which is why you will leave the talking to me," Gandalf replied and together, the Company walked across the bridge leading to Rivendell. Alithia's smile got bigger when she saw the elves, some of whom she recognized from her many visits here. It seemed like forever since she'd been here but she still remembered every detail of this beautiful place.

"If only Mirkwood could be this alive," she thought to herself. Although Mirkwood was beautiful in her mind, it paled in comparison to Rivendell. Rivendell was more lively and peaceful whereas Mirkwood was quite a lonely and cold place, but that was of course, after the darkness had taken over. The realm of Greenwood was once great and mighty.

So busy was she in admiring the place that she nearly forgot that Elrond would most likely be here. Elrond, whom her father was in speaking terms with, might have heard that she had ran away from Mirkwood. That she had gone missing. Her eyes widened. Even if her father had not already informed him about her running away, Elrond would no doubt be suspicious as to why she was with a bunch of dwarves. If Elrond found out she was with the Company, he would send her back home to her father. An Elvish curse word escaped her lips and Fili looked at her curiously.

"Is everything alright, Thia?" he asked. She looked a bit uneasy.

"I um...I think I shouldn't be here..." She said, worrying the bottom of her lip and thinking. Should she make a run for it? How could she possibly abandon the Company now just so she wouldn't get caught? Or should she play things cool and act like her father had approved of her being here? No, that seemed too out of character for Thranduil.

An elf approached then, one whom Alithia recognized as Lindir.

"Mithrandir," he greeted Gandalf.

"Ah, Lindir!" the wizard greeted in return.

"Lastannem i athrannedh i Vruinen," Lindir stated. (We heard you had crossed into the Valley)

"I must speak with Lord Elrond," Gandalf answered, ringing alarm bells in Alithia's head. Yup, she had to get out of here before Elrond saw her.

"My Lord Elrond is not here," Lindir told Gandalf and Alithia let out a breath of relief.

"Okay, maybe I overreacted," she thought to herself.

"Not here?" Gandalf asked in surprise. "Where is he?"

Just then, the sound of Elvish horns filled the air. Alithia could hear the sound of hooves and when they all turned around, they saw a group of horsemen approaching them.

"Ready weapons! Hold ranks!" Thorin shouted to the Company and the dwarves armed themselves. Alithia, however, let out a small gasp and quickly ducked down out of sight, hiding behind Fili who, for his part, didn't question her. The Elves gathered round in a circle around the group, blocking any path for them to move. One of the elves separated himself from the group and stepped up to Gandalf. It was Lord Elrond.