" . chapter i: drive *

Peter walked for about ten minutes down the beige, cracked, concrete path before his girlfriend pulled over to the sidewalk in her sleek, blue Prius. She leaned over to the passenger side, opening the door for the male in one smooth movement. There was no hello, just an angry scowl. "I said I was getting you! Why didn't you wait?"  The female's voice was different than her typical, soft tone in favor for a harsher, more accusing snap.

Peter shrugged, oblivious to the full extent of the woman's frustrations. "I forgot." It was a weak excuse and he knew it, but it was true.  So trapped in his own mind, he neglected to remember the ride he was getting from Liz.

Liz, ever so wary, wasn't so convinced and her gaze didn't soften as she pulled back on the crowded New York City road. "Could have texted."

"You would have been driving, Liz. That's dangerous."

"Could have called then." She looked over at him as they stopped at a red light, letting a flood of brightly colored school children cross without a care in their little worlds.

"I forgot, okay? Give me a break. You're never like this!" Peter racked his memory for times Liz bitched at him or got unreasonably angry but nothing came to mind— they were perfect.  All he could think of was light teasing when he did something dumb and mini food fights in Central Park . . . nothing remotely antagonist ever took place in the history of their almost year together.

"You know what," The light changed to green and so did Liz's stoic expression, softening to the kind gaze Peter knew and loved. "I'm sorry.  I don't know how your life is going right now, you might have had a bad morning and I shouldn't make it worse.  I don't know what came over me."  It was like the flip of a coin, all frustrations finally dissipating from her tone.

Artificial or sincere, Peter didn't know. Either way, he decided to reach across the console and place a hand on top of Liz's pale blue skirted leg.  "Hey it's fine.  It was just a weird dream last night, lots on my mind."  Weird was an understatement, but he didn't want to worry the overly compassionate female.

The car turned a wide corner and it was only a few more blocks until the couple reached Midtown.  "We'll talk about it later," Liz leaned across to give Peter a quick kiss.

Peter kissed back, his chapped lips against her soft ones, surprised at the gesture, almost as if similar occurrences had never happened between them before.  It was a common trend for him since waking up.  Everything was off and his memory was cloudy, but he just attributed it to staying up too late. "Definitely.  I'll see you later?"

"Of course!  Learn something in the meantime.  I'll be at the game."  Liz smiled and gave peter another peck before he left.

As Peter watched the car drive away as he stood on the sidewalk outside of school, he almost forgot why he was stuck on his dream.  His life was absolutely perfect.  He had the girl, friends he would see within moments, a loving family, he was a three sport athlete and on the decathlon team with straight A's, and every day was pretty damn good.  He had nothing to worry about, so as he walked into the school, he decided to let his worries pass so he could start a new day off positive.