Prologue

Prologue

Elena Gilbert's Point Of View

I was crying as Stefan walked away. He opened the doors, and disappeared into a foggy light.

Suddenly, I was laying in my bed in the forest when I realized the sunlight was getting brighter. I thought I was in a daze, but I realized I'm only ever here when it has something to do with Bonnie.

I also realized it wasn't the sun blinding me. It was just a light. Like in a dream, or a flashback.

What was happening? What was Bonnie doing?

We were linked, so I could feel something happening to me. Was she okay?

The light was getting stronger, blinding me. I was starting to panic.

Someone would protect her from whatever this is. She'd be okay. We both would.

I was still confused. This had never happened before.

Brighter again. Too bright now. Much, much too bright. I felt like I was being pulled and pushed at the same time.

I opened my eyes, and it was like I was coming out of a bad dream. I could breathe normally again. I looked around me. Was I in Damon's bedroom?

I felt a weight shift on my right, and I turned my head to see Bonnie.

She smiled. "There she is."

"Am I..." I touched my face, wondering if this was real.

"I did it," she said. "I broke the spell!"

"How?" I breathed.

"It took some time. But I think I finally figured this witch thing out." She giggled, and I joined her. I sat up and pulled her into a hug. Then I remembered... Stefan.

We were no longer laughing. I let go of her. "Where is he?" Damon. He must be heartbroken.

"He's with Caroline... Saying goodbye."

She helped me off the bed, and we trudged to the cemeteryWe were almost there when she spoke again.

"You knew... So, he made it?"

It took me a few seconds to realize she meant Stefan. "Yeah. Did you do that?"

She nodded. "He wanted a way to pass along his goodbye to everyone. He couldn't do it in person. They would have tried to stop him."

My eyes never left the ground. I still couldn't believe itI thought I would have a lifetime to get to know him again when I woke up. But that was all gone.

I saw the name 'Salvatore' and knew we were here. It looked different. Older. Though, according to Bonnie, I had only been gone for about five years.

The crypt doors suddenly opened, and Caroline emerged. Her shocked face matched mine, and I greeted her with a smile. She moved out of the way, and my attention immediately caught the eyes that held the ocean within them.

Damon. My DamonAnd that damned smile.

I ran to him, and his lips caught mine. I could never forget what this feels like, but somehow it felt like the first time. We held our foreheads together, breathing each other in.

I heard Caroline giggle, and couldn't wait any longer. I slowly let go of Damon and reached for her. Bonnie joined us, and we were led to a bench.

The three of us sat down together. "I need you to know," I started. "Stefan said something to me before we parted." Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Damon look up at the mention of his brother's name. "'One day, when you wake up, tell Caroline... I heard her. And I will love her forever, too.'"

"He got my message." She looked so relieved, and I instantly wanted to comfort her. I knew what it was like to lose the one you wanted to be with forever. I nodded at her. She laughed, then Bonnie and I leaned our heads on her shoulders for a moment before we stood.

Bonnie and I held onto Caroline the whole way. I kept one of my hands in Damon's, who walked beside me.

"They should be here by now," Caroline whispered. She reached back to dig out her phone from her pocket.

"Who?" I asked.

She didn't get a chance to answer. We all looked up to the sound of a car engine. It stopped about ten yards away.

My heart leaped when I saw Matt emerge from the passenger side, and I took an involuntary step forward. Alaric got out from the other side, and I let go of Care and Damon to run to them.

They looked up, and their expressions turned around. We all laughed as I jumped into Ric's waiting arms. I stretched to pull Matt into our hug.

Too soon, we let go. Ric kissed the top of my head, then we trudged back together.

Alaric and Bonnie laid roses. Matt left his vervain bracelet. I left my vervain necklace.

Caroline set down her Christmas present from almost a decade ago. It was a small snow globe of Mystic Falls. Everyone decided to do Secret Santa that year, and Caroline's was Stefan. She hated it at first, but eventually, it gave her comfort. Even when he wasn't around, she could hold it and think of him.

Damon left his daylight ring. It had been so long since he had been able to go without it... Nearly two centuries.

I wondered what happened to Stefan's ring. He was human when he died, so I doubt he wore it then. Who had it now? Probably Caroline.

We left the cemetery. Bonnie was holding Care, and I had my arm laced through Damon's. Matt and Ric followed alongside us.