The interview

The mirror was dirty, the lighting was dim. I pulled at my outfit, twisting side to side to check it over. No. This wouldn't work. I dragged myself back over to the closet, pulling the blinds up on my way over. Natural light would help make sure everything was okay. Businesses always have such good lightening.

I had applied and interviewed for multiple jobs over the last month, no one would take me. No matter how refined I tried to make myself look, my social skills must have been lacking. Another downfall of my sheltered childhood.

I stripped the shirt off of my body, tossing it to the side. Running my hands violently threw my bleach locks, I sighed in frustration. Nothing would be good enough. No one would ever hire me. Mothe-, no. Not mother. Gothel. She had been right. I was useless, and everyone else saw it too.

Searching through the closet, I landed on a simple beige wrap skirt. Re-thinking my outfit, I pulled it on and grabbed the shirt I had previously taken off. The skirt came slightly passed mid-thigh, I would need tights. Quickly pulling on the pastel pink top, I left the room to find Elsa.

She was in the kitchen, angrily inspecting the dish washer. The war between her and the appliance was on going and never ending. Elsa would claim she had finally fixed it and then it would stop working with another problem. Her sweat pants had some weird oil looking substance splattered over them. Blue hair messily tied up with a white bandana keeping her bangs from falling in her face.

I giggled, "I can hand wash our dishes, you know."

Elsa huffed, "no, no, I will not lose". She looked over at me, "that looks nice, missing something though.. oh, tights, it's missing tights".

I smiled, always on the same page as me, "do you have any I could borrow? I have like one black pair and they're all ripped".

Wiping her hands on her sweats, she started back to her room, "I actually think I have a pink pair that would look perfect".

I scoffed, "you have pink tights? I didn't even know you knew the color existed".

I knew her eyes rolled at my sarcasm, they always did. A rolled up pair of tights were thrown at me, I almost didn't catch them. I pulled them on and looked in Elsa's mirror. They did go perfect with the outfit, of course.

Elsa pushed me to sit on her bed, moving behind me to mess with my hair, "what are you doing with your make-up?".

Her fingers ran through my hair. I knew she was expertly pulling it up, making it look nice rather than the birds nest it normally was.

"I was just thinking simple eye liner. I don't want to go all crazy and get turned down agai-"

"Rapunzel. Dark lipstick or not, they'd be stupid to not hire you". Elsa patted my arms, "now go finish up or you'll be late".

I couldn't take my eyes away from my hands. How did she always do that? One simple sentence could make the worthless feelings disappear for the time being.

I struggled to find my voice, "thank you, Elsa". I hurried back to my own room, stopping for a second by the full body mirror. My long mane had been pulled into a bun, a little braid seemingly holding it in place. I'll never understand how she does hair so well.. Shit, I'll never understand how she does anything so well.

Keeping the make-up simple, I opted to only do eye liner and mascara. Blush, eye shadow, lipstick.. Not needed today. Maybe if we go out tonight, but not now.

I stuffed my feet into chunky tan heels and throwing on a white cardigan, I yelled that I was leaving.

Practically running down the stairs of the apartment building, I cursed having to wear shoes. I hate shoes. They were confining, completely cutting off my connection with mother nature. Heels were nice though. My petite height greatly benefited from the extra inches.

The coffee shop, where my interview was, was only a block away. The walk would be manageable, even as the season turned to winter. The fall air was a little chilly but it felt nice. Colder than I would have preferred but still nice.

The shop was relatively empty when I arrived. Only a table near the back had a large cluster of people occupying it. The girl behind the counter looked at me boredly, pushing flame red hair out of her face. She was always working, and had come to memorize Elsa and I's usual order.

"Welcome. How can I help you today?", her tone of voice, laced with a thick Scottish accent, matched the bored look she wore.

I smiled politely, feeling the nervous creeping into my system, "Yes, I'm here for my interview. I'm Rapunzel Corona."

The girls interested peeked slightly then, looking me over, "I thought you looked.. cleaner today, lass. Alright, take a seat and we'll get to it".

My palms got clammy, "oh, right out here? O-okay". Pulling myself up onto a bar stool, I clasped my hands together trying to look more professional. Keep your posture right, Rapunzel. Don't fidget. Just a couple of questions, maybe make a trail drink, then you're hired. Simple.

"I'm Merida, I manage here", she copied my hand gesture, clasping hers and smirking at me.

"Okay, why do you want to work here?"

I rambled on the usual bullshit answers that were expected. The company could help me build skills as I think I could also improve it. Blah, Blah, Blah. The questions kept coming for roughly half an hour.

Tell me about yourself.

What are your career goals?

How are you with customers?

How easily do you learn new skills?

"So, Rapunzel, how's your hand writing?"

My hand writing? Of all the questions I had been expecting and preparing for, that was definitely not one of them.

"I, um, my hand writing is okay. Curvy and obnoxious on occasion, but legible."

Merida nodded, pushing her hair back, which I had come to the conclusion was an involuntary motion she often did.

"Thank you. I think that's all I need to know".

I mentally thanked whatever higher power allowed me to finish this interview with only minor stumbling over my words.

"Thank you for your time. So, uh...?"

Merida smirked, "you want to know if you got the job, aye?"

I bit my lip, "I didn't, did i?". I stood up quickly, "god dammi-".

My words were interrupt by the red head bursting out into a fit of laughter, "you got the job, ya spaz. Calm down".

My heart lept, a bright smile finding my lips before I could control it, "Oh! Thank you! When do I start?"

She threw an a small apron towards me, "right now".

Wait, what? I was starting right now? I didn't even have any time to mentally process that I'd got the job at all. Nonetheless, I quickly made my way behind the counter. I tied the apron around me while Merida began pointing out things behind the counter.

"And lastly, that group back there", she motioned to the back table, "they're almost always here and they stay for at least an hour, each getting a refill before they leave".

I nodded, examining the group. They were all about our age. Most likely college students meeting to chat or study together. I could spot at least 4 guys and 3 girls. I could handle that.

Merida chatted for the time being, and it turned out we had a lot in common. Same taste in music, internet fandoms, foods, tv shows.

"Hey, can I get a refill over here?"

---------

---------

I'm on a roll, huh?(:

Hope this was okay.

Thanks for reading, lovelies.

I'll try to keep up this fast updating with everything I'm working on. I go on vacation soon though.

Xoxo,

Serena.(: