odd world, pt. 5

MEXICO BEAT GERMANY YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh this is part 43 of this book so i'm celebrating by killing off a character ;) (there's kinda graphic stuff below so uh. proceed with caution)

-

BANG.

o'donahue can feel warm blood trickling down his face, and judging by the throbbing in his head and his fuzzy vision, he is most certainly concussed.

"please," he groans as he presses himself against the cold glass wall. the hand grabbing a fistful of his shirt says otherwise.

"gotta perform well." antoinette says softly, pulling him back just to slam him into the wall again. o'donahue can't help it this time- he screams.

it's not his own pride that's been keeping his screams locked in his throat.

it's the knowledge that sitting strapped down behind these glass walls are two people that mean the world to him, and they are being forced to watch every moment of this. todd wants answers, and he is willing to beat them out of o'donahue- or pry them out of oprah and yucks.

-

on the other side of the wall, oprah is wondering why her prayers for a reunion have been answered with this.

she and yucks had hardly gotten back up onto the ground floor of the schmumber's inc. building when they were taken into custody by two of todd's cronies. oprah recognized one of them as obfusco, which relieved her somewhat. at least some of us are still alive and free.

but then they had brought her and yucks here.

she knew something was seriously wrong when o'donahue was brought out in front of them, looking like he had already gone through quite a lot. yucks had made a move toward him, but the instant she did three tasers were aimed at her. she'd backed off quickly, scowling.

and then the glass had come down, and oprah and yucks were forced into chairs, guards surrounding them as the torture began.

the worst part of watching, oprah had decided, was the fact that o'donahue was trying so hard to hide his suffering for their sakes. the silence was only made worse by the screams that punctuated it when it became too much for the former fisherman.

she closes her eyes, trying her best to block out the thudding and the quiet groans and instead focusing on the conversation going on behind her.

she knows the people talking- obfusco, odin, and opal. all three of them had been placed in what could have been background roles when she was working at odd squad, and she couldn't help but wonder if that's why they were on todd's side now. if i ever get to be a ms. o, i'm going to make sure they're as important as the field agents.

"we don't have a lot of time, if we're going to go through with it." opal is saying with an edge of worry to her voice. "todd is getting suspicious of owen already, and you know that wherever owen goes-"

"ohio follows." odin finishes. "then how do we get them out before todd takes them out?"

"we could always just destroy their identities and send them away to hide." obfusco points out. oprah jumps slightly- he's not speaking in tongues anymore.

opal sighs. "no, we'd need an erasinator, and those are heavily guarded. and besides, todd's got eyes everywhere. they can't keep running from him forever. and besides, who would take them in? two random boys who know so much about the todd squad? that's like screaming hey, i know how to take you down and i've got two munchkins to help!"

"assuming that you're completely correct-"

"i am. remember olympia?"

oprah stiffens, pressing a hand to her mouth. olympia, redheaded girl that i sent to the green light twins. the one who was supposed to be dead.

opal continues, voice hoarse. "she tried to leave and todd killed her. it took him a year to find her, and she was one of the most resourceful kids to ever be on the squad. now think about owen out there, then add ohio as a big distraction. they won't last a month."

obfusco growls in frustration. "okay, you are right. now what?"

"there's time travel." odin points out, voice shaky. oprah flinches. bad idea.

there was silence, and then opal sighs. "so we build a time travel gadget and send them...where?"

"i don't know, but there's gotta be a timeline where everything's okay."

"that's not enough!" opal snaps. too loud. way too loud.

oprah's eyes fly open as antoinette smiles, grip tightening on o'donahue. "you heard the lovely lady, didn't you?" she coos, smiling at opal, who turns away.

no, not really. o'donahue thinks. everything is getting too difficult- hearing, seeing, even breathing.

wait, what? i'm- i've made it way too far to end it like this. it's been what, 150 years at 11 years old? 100 of those spent with oprah and yucks.

in his mind's eye, he sees them, laughing at some stupid joke he'd told, arms around each other. this memory is from a beach day they had shared back before todd turned the ocean into sludge. yucks's blonde hair was down around her shoulders, and her face was sunburnt. oprah's hair was in braids, and sand clung to her arms.

this isn't how it's gonna end this is NOT how it's gonna end-

his head collides with the glass wall- no, not the wall. it isn't slippery, and it hurts far more. the floor.

he feels himself be flipped over, and through a haze of tears and blood he sees antoinette standing over him. "any last words? any information to save your life?" she asks, and for a moment she's the grim reaper, shrouded in rainbow colors and accessorized with an eerie smile.

"oprah n' yucks." he mumbles through the phlegm and blood in his mouth. "'m gonna see you again, swear it."

there's a scream, and o'donahue knows it's yucks- oprah would never show so much emotion at such a loaded moment.

suddenly there's a weight on his chest, and o'donahue looks down to find a rainbow Converse pressing down on his diaphragm, draining the air out of him. he gasps for air, trying to wriggle away, but antoinette is strong and ruthless and he is past the point of no return.

the foot moves up to his throat. "traitor." antoinette breathes as o'donahue chokes. those brown eyes widen as the blood and phlegm in his mouth come hacking up, and then he is still.

oprah and yucks sit quietly, one in shock and the other in tears, as antoinette turns to them. "that is what happens when you don't give information when asked." she says, and snaps her fingers. "let's see if you'll remember that."

the girls are out of their seats in seconds, but before they can get anywhere, agents are surrounding them. yucks kicks out at one and before oprah has even processed the notion of fighting back, a syringe is jammed into yucks's arm and she goes limp.

oprah feels herself being cuffed, feels a foot make contact with her leg, but it doesn't affect her. she doesn't think anything will again.

as they are dragged from the room, she makes eye contact with o'donahue's corpse, still lying in it's own blood, and resolves that she will not say a word to aid the organization that killed her best friend.