How It Started

"We are in a place called The Unknown. I don't exactly know what it is for sure... I think it's something like a limbo, a resting place, maybe a purgatory. For where souls go when they have unfinished business, or they're not ready to... Go on." Wirt closed his eyes and lent back against Dipper's chest. "Me and my brother had an accident. I've been thinking about it as long as I've been here, trying to remember what happened. I think... Now, Dipper, don't freak out, but the only explanation for everything is that... We're dead, Dipper. We're dead. You know when you saved from that tree? Yeah? Did you feel a pulse? Feel now, do you have one? No? No. You don't. Because you're dead. You must've had an accident like us. So, this is where I'm a bit unsure... There's this thing, this... Beast. The Beast. And he controls the forest, The Unknown. He traps people here. I think he keeps people here so they can't either... Go on, you know, like- properly die, the final death- or go home. Go back to living. Because you can do that, I know. Greg did. He's home now, he's alive, he's safe. The Beast trapped me here but he got out, he's okay, and I would be stuck here permanently if it weren't for you saving me from that tree. We've both got a chance to get home now. And I think if we work together, we can find a way home. What do you say?"

"Well, I... Wait a minute..."

Dipper stared at the small patch of grass in which he was sure he had seen movement.

"What's that?"

Wirt squinted through the leaves to where Dipper was pointing.

His eyes widened.

"Greg...?"