Where the creatures lay

November 2016 (School comp. Text)
(Waring: badly written)

**

We all sit carelessly in this crowded space known to be my living room. Each, flicking through social media websites on our phones, or paying close attention to the TV.

The horror channel plays off the irritatingly small screen, with corny acting and the usual frustrating characters.

Though those few of us who are watching, for those cheep thrills that are completely pointless, for that small shot of adrenaline rush, come to the realisation and recognition of the building currently shown on screen.

"hey, isn't that-" Isobel started.

"Biggie Cheese?!??!" Lacey Finished. But not actually.

"the old school building. It isn't far from here right?" Lacey finished.

"well. I think we all know where this is heading. Much like our feet" Kemper spoke cheerfully as he lightly bounced to the front door.

We all hurried to the whereabouts of this so called haunted school.

It's late October on a Saturday afternoon, the sky is a light shade of grey, an icy braze brushes past our pale cheeks and pink noses while gently moving our tangled hair.

"ain't much furtha eh." Travis called to us with his typical Yorkshire accent.

"good, I'm freezing my toes off here." Izzy complained.

We entered the abandoned institute with wary faces and cautious thoughts.

It's dark inside, most of the windows bordered up after rocks were sent flying through, shattering the glass. Pieces of the walls were peeling off adding to the debris scattered across the floor.

"oh!" Travis exclaimed with excitement and awe, "look, this was totally a biology room." He stood near a model of a skeleton, with a discoloured and decaying look that widened my eyes and made goosebumps rise.

"hahaa, isn't this awesome?" Travis moved the skeletons forearms around as if it was among the living.

The rest of us, Kemper, Izzy, lacey and I, clearly wore a look of disturbance to our faces with a question of that skeletons realism.

"c'mon guys, lighten up. You're all acting like p-" A sudden shriek filled the empty spaces around us, stopping Travis from finishing his sentence.

Lacey screamed with an unsettling tone of fear, and pain.

The rest of us froze looking at one another, hoping that someone else would do something.

"Stop! Stop! I told you. TO STOP!" Lacey started screaming, covering her ears and crouching down to the floor filled with thin shards of glass.

"L-.. Lacey?.." Izzy stepped forward to her childhood friend, her hands shaking with uncertainty.

"I can't deal with this!" Travis ran out and bolted to the fallen bricks which gave us the entry.

"Trav!" Kemper shouted and ran to the classroom door to watch him leave.

Lacey was crying, still covering her ears and crouched.

Izzy was shaking and crying next to lacey, streaks of her black mascara drip her pale face.

I was stood near the back wall, no good thought in my head. I look to my left with no reason known to me, but. I'm glad I did.

In the doorway that connects this classroom to another, is the silhouette of a humanoid creature, with limbs like us but its neck. It's neck much longer and thin, thin like the rest of this figure. It's posture was hard to make out, but from what I could see it looked ready to run. Like it was stalking it's pray, looking for the right moment to pounce.

"G-... Gu-........." Is all I could force out. With this ever growing fear I lost the ability to speak, the ability to even open my mouth.

We're not going to get out of this alive.. There's.. There's no way. My thoughts raced around my head, my eyes fixed on this figure. Through a brief moment of insanity I lost focus and when I'd regain it, the figure was just a mere memory. Forever burned into my pupils.

I know we needed to leave but, when I looked back to everyone to share my bone chilling experience. They were already gone.

Alone. I was l left alone with that, thing. I started trembling and panic took over once again. The rational thoughts that once guided me had fled. I was done for.

Get moving. That's the best thing I can do. If I stay here then I'll surely die. These thoughts, clearly terrifying, were my new guide.

I wish I could say that I got straight out. But it got too dark, I'm still looking for the exit. I don't know how long is been, nor any idea about my health. But I've got to keep going.

I know these creatures now. They just want to kill. Nothing but a twisted blood lust floods their instincts and takes any other life from this building. I should be dead. But I'm not.

Walking down these corridors with every hidden being watching me from the misty darkness. A silence would be, if not for my footsteps leaving an echo to bounce off the walls and fill the spaces with an eerie pitch.

I descend the inky black stairway to a fate, unknown by God.

Is that... a glimmer?
The words echoed through my head as whispers. Surely a sign I'd gone mad. A sign of hallucination: I was not seeing glimmers just as I was not hearing whispers.

But those whispers became clearer the closer I got to the glimmer. Closer, clearer. It was music. Beautiful, warm, fuzzy music – something I never thought I'd hear again!

It brought a tear to my eye, a tear that sparkled just like the gold.

Yes, gold! I could see it now. A gold chain upon dark...fur? Fear struck me again; this was not like the other creatures. It could be so much worse, I could be walking right to my death like a sailor to a siren.

I couldn't stop my legs as they carried me closer. I really was entranced.

Finally, I  looked up, meeting the beady gaze of a handsome rat. He smirked when his eyes met mine, sparkling with a joy I hadn't experienced in god knows how long. Immediately I relaxed, my shoulders loosening and my brows smoothing out.

I knew this rat.

"Hey." He winked. He winked – Biggie Fucking Cheese!

I didn't know how to feel, butterflies errupted in my stomach but I was still sceptical. I had been in the dark for so long, wandering the halls of– hiding from twisted, nauseating creatures.

Biggie Fucking Cheese was not here with me. It's too good to be true.

"I am real." He said, bending his tiny knees so he could match my height. His face was suddenly so close, I felt my own heat up and not just with his breaths.

How did he know what I was thinking?

"W-Why are you here?" I stuttered out.

He caressed my cheek with his furless paw – if rats even have paws – and brushed my dirty, matted hair out of my eyes. "To protect you. But this is also my band space after my mom kicked me and the lads out of her garage."

My eyes widened. "But it's so dangerous upstairs!" My voice cracked with fright making me jump. I still need to be quiet!

"Oh, because of those things? Don't worry, they're scared of me."