Chapter Thirty-One; The White Door. [Edited]

"Maybe you should sleep." It takes Peeta a while to realise he's the one being spoken to.

He looks round, right into the pale blue eyes of Silver. Sitting next to her after hearing so many stories from Emerald makes it feel like she's barely real. Though she felt real enough when she was sleeping soundly on his shoulder.

She's exactly as Emerald described; Small, slim, with large eyes and long, shining hair. Metallic silver. It glistens with every twitch of her body, making it unbearably distracting.

"Peeta?" She puts a slim hand on his forearm. The veins shine through her pale skin. "You don't want to sleep?" Silver even talks softly. No wonder Emerald was so ferociously protective.

"No." He replies stiffly. "I don't want to miss anything."

He hasn't moved. Not for hours. Days could have passed for all he knows. He's been frozen in place ever since he was shoved onto this couch, staring at the blank white door opposite. That's where they took her.

"There won't be anything for hours," Silver assures him, "You don't want to shower or anything?"

He must be a sight if she's said it so gently. He's not surprised. Emerald was bleeding so much on the roof that it stained him almost from head to toe. He had her in his arms for so long she started looking a little blue. That's when he really started to panic. Not long after that the doctor's arrived to rush her away, and he followed, and he's been sat on this couch ever since they took her to surgery. He doesn't even know if she's alive or dead behind that door. The thought makes the breath catch in his throat.

"Peeta?"

He looks round at her. "No, Silver. I'm fine."

She nods, sighs. Rubs a hand over her eyes. She looks tired. He hopes she goes back to sleeping, he's not in the mood for conversation.

People have been filing in and out at regular intervals. Marie and Thatcher rushed in just behind Silver, but Peeta couldn't tell them anything about Emerald's condition. They hadn't been able to stay long; There was a lot going on with the Avox faction, and they had to get there right away to help settle it.

Marie had hugged Peeta close before leaving though, thanking him over and over for saving her daughter. He'd barely been able to reply.

After that, Birch and Astrid had stopped by. Haymitch, Johanna. Even Plutarch had sent along his best wishes. The lot of them had passed on news of what was going on out there; 13 were fighting hard for control, warring among themselves for Coin's role and also warring against the rest of the Districts for power over everyone else.

Plutarch, Haymitch reported, was in the thick of things, trying to steer the helm of the ship as best he could, but Peeta wasn't sure what good that would do when the ship was intent on smashing itself against the rocks.

Peeta honestly wished he could have cared more about the situation, but he could barely draw his eyes away from the white door long enough to even listen to the reports.

Silver did most of the talking.

"Thank you." She murmurs now. That's not what he expected. It startles him enough that he looks sideways at her.

"For what?" He frowns.

"For everything." She shrugs her slender shoulders. Retaining her poised posture even with the movement. "For the arena. For going after her. For caring. For fighting with her and for her. It's been a long time since anyone had the nerve to do anything like that for her. She appreciates it."

Peeta finds himself smiling just a little, "Doesn't seem that way."

"No." Silver chuckles, "I guess not. She's a hard-ass, that one. She'd rather cut off a limb than admit to being wrong, and even then getting her to apologise is like pulling teeth." Peeta's smile widens despite himself. "But once that woman cares..." Silver shakes her head and huffs an amused laugh, "You won't ever get her off your back."