Finally free

All you could think about was Toby. His sweet smile that melted your heart every time you saw it. The way his soft chocolate brown hair framed his pale face perfectly. And his eyes. His deep brown eyes that tugged at your heartstrings every time he looked at you. All you could think about was Toby. His insane grin that made goosebumps run over your skin. The way his matted hair framed his scared, pale face. And his eyes. His dull brown eyes that were like pools of insanity tugging at your heartstrings. All you could think about. Was him. It had been about eight weeks since the fatal accident of Lyras death and you still couldn't get him off your mind. The image of his insane form sitting in the hospital bed was burned into the back of your mind for the rest of eternity. You couldn't sleep. You couldn't eat. You couldn't even find the will to try at school. Your mind was blank. On the occasional night that sleep managed to overcome you, you were met with the harsh reminder of nightmares. All of them consisted of you seeing a tall, deathly pale man in a black tuxedo starring at you. You never moved in the dream nor did you speak. You just watched him as he watched you with an empty face.

You layed curled up in a ball on your soft bed covers. Unfornatley for you tonight was a night when insomnia took over your tired form. You tossed and turned trying to find a position that was even slightly comfortable, but all the effort was for nothing. Glancing at the clock on your wall you saw that it was half five in the morning. The sun would be coming up soon. Swinging your legs over your bed, you proceeded to try and stand up but immediately flopped back down onto your soft quilt as exhaustion took hold of you. Pale rays of morning sunlight began to filter through your curtains and into your room. Guess that's my cue to get up. You thought as you rose to your feet for the second time that morning. You groggily ran your hands over your face in a feeble attempt to make yourself feel more awake. Since that didn't work you decided that a nice cool shower would bring you back to your senses. Walking into the bathroom, you removed your pjs and stepped into the shower. Letting the cool yet warm water run down your back made you feel ten times more awake and refreshed, however it made you want to stay in its protective warmth forever.

As you walked down the halls of school you could literally feel everyone's eyes focussed on you. You shrank slightly under their gazes and continued to your first class. Maths. You hated maths with a burning passion, not just because the subject was tricky but because of the people in that particular class. Sighing to yourself you opened the door that lead to the dreaded classroom and stepped inside. "Looks like the loner is finally here. We thought you'd stay home with you psychopathic boyfriend or something!" Small giggles and laughter erupted from the class as you made your way to your desk. Here we go again you thought as you saw Monica sat on your desk with her posey stood behind her glaring daggers at you. "Do you seriously have nothing better to do than wait at my desk so you can throw petty insults at me?" You asked her in a sassy tone whilst crossing your arms over your chest. She seemed slightly taken back by your confident remark but a smug smirk soon found its way onto her face. "Actually, i have much better things to do but I just wanted to see the schools favourite weirdo before class started." Stay calm (y/n). You inhaled deeply to keep your anger under control. "Haha very funny. Now please move from my seat before you infect it with bitchiness." You replies in a humourless tone whilst never letting your gaze falter. "Your the one infecting the school with insanity and creepiness.we heard what you and Toby did to Trevor. You and that twitching freak should be put where you belong. In a mental asylum that is!" The whole class burst into laughter at that insult, some people sent you looks of sympathy but didn't dare stand up to Monica and her gang. At this point your anger was over the edge. Before Monica could even react, you grabbed the scruff of her shirt and punched her square in the nose. The entire class fell silent in shock and directed their attention towards you and the girl on the floor. "What the he-" Monica tried to talk but was swiftly cut off by your foot meeting her stomache. Before anyone had time to call for a teacher you turned on your heel and stormed out of class.

(Toby's POV)

I watched hopelessly as the sun began to sink behind the horizon. "N-no no no no!" I muttered to myself as the sky became increasingly darker. Over the last few weeks I had grown to hate the darkness of the night. I keep seeing Lyra. She's everywhere. Not to mention the strange faceless man. I hear him... speaking to me. At least I think he is. It's been a while since I've been outside but I don't care about that. I glanced down at my bandaged hands and thought about why I'd started chewing them in the first place. It's not like I can feel the pain anyway I thought as I poked and prodded at the wounded flesh. Recently my mom had gotten me some 'help'. I tried talking to a therapist but wherever I go. He follows me. That damn faceless man. He's everywhere. On my street, in my room, in the halls. He's even haunting my nightmares. "N-never in the d-daytime, all t-t-hrough the night. Always watching. No eyes."

"TOBY GET DOWNSTAIRS NOW!" The voice of my drunken father bellowed through the house. I sigh to myself thinking of what would happen if I were to disobey his orders. He'd probably take it out on mom. The thought of him hurting her made me sick so I got up and made my way downstairs. He was sprawled lazily across the couch with a bottle of beer in his hand and a cigarette in the other. Various cans and bottles were littered across the floor. The entire room was a mess thanks to him. "Get me another beer from the fridge. Now!" He slurred. I didn't move a muscle. I stood my ground and glared at him from a distance. "Are you deaf? I said get it NOW you brat!" He said whilst making an attempt to stand up. "G-get it y-yourself." I spat with venom lacing my every word. He began to approach me, his form towering way above mine, but I didn't move. I'm not gonna be afraid anymore. Before I could say anything else I was silenced by a sharp slap to the face. The force of the hit caused me to stumble slightly but I didn't lose my footing. "Stupid child. Lyras death was your fault." Those words sparked something in me. I couldn't hold back any longer. The second he turned his back to me a sickening grin spread across my face as I reached for the knife on the kitchen counter. The room was soon filled with the sound of hysterical laughter echoing throughout the house. "What the hell is wrong with you?" My dad said. His voice was trembling slightly and a look of pure horror was plastered onto his face. I loved it. I swiftly lunges at him, plunging the knife into his shoulder. Blood began to seep through his shirt as I pushed the blade deeper into his skin. His painful screams bounced off the walls as he struggled to release himself from my grasp. I wouldn't let him escape. I ripped the knife from his shoulder and stabbed him straight in the heart. Again. And again. And again, until his lifeless body dropped to the ground with a satisfying thud. "T-Toby? What have you done?!" My head whipped around to see who the voice belonged to. My mother stood on the stairs, tears brimming her eyes and a look of horror on her face.

Bright orange flames swallowed the forest around me creating a burning heat that I couldn't even feel. It was deadly yet beautiful to watch. The fire grew so large it emitted a bright red glow that infected the night sky with its light. Large coils of smoke rose up into the atmosphere creating a foggy effect and dulling the natural glow of the fire. The distant sound of police sirens were like music to my ears as their lights faintly flashed blue and red. I stood there with a dulled axe in one hand and an orange one in the other, watching the world crumble under the mess I'd created. I was free. Finally free. Free from a broken family, a broken life and a broken friend. My lips twitched upwards into a small smile. "I-if  only (y/n) c-could see m-me now!"

(Sorry for the long wait school has been REALLY busy at the moment but I'll try and update every week from now on!)