Chapter Ten

John's P.O.V.

I woke up abruptly, something sharp jabbing into my side painfully. I yelped and my eyes flew open as I was pushed roughly over the side of my bed to hit the floor with a loud thump. I grimaced and curled up into a small, shivering ball on the cold wooden floor for a few minutes. I finally forced myself to get up and stretch. I looked over and saw Sherlock sprawled over the entire bed. "Arsehole," I muttered angrily, but also somehow admiringly. I managed to push Sherlock's leg gently as I stumbled off to the doorway. I glanced back and saw him wriggle around before tucking his legs in and pulling the covers around him like a little cocoon. I caught myself smiling before I tripped and nearly stumbled down the stairs. I caught myself on the rails just before I caused myself major brain damage and steadied myself before going down. My feet were freezing against the cold wooden floor and I wrapped one arm around me tightly, the other still clutching the rail. I shivered into the kitchen and went rifling through the fridge for some eggs. Now shaking visibly with raised goosebumps and chattering teeth, I reached for a pan and a spatula to cook with. I heard some loud noises up stairs before Sherlock let out a piercing squeal for a yawn. I shuddered and forced myself to crack open an egg. I was trembling so badly that the egg almost missed getting into the pan, and I managed to sneeze twice swiftly into my shoulder. I heard some soft footsteps as Sherlock made his way downstairs and into the livingroom, and then back into the kitchen. I was so cold that I was huddling towards the stove to get warmer. Suddenly, I felt something huge and warm cover my shoulders. I immediately clutched at it and pulled it around me, and before long I was wearing Sherlock's coat. I let out a grateful sigh and heard Sherlock chuckle deeply behind me. I turned to scrunch up my face at him, and went back to making breakfast. I had just cracked a second and third egg into the pan when something tugged at the coat. I turned and before I could do or say anything, Sherlock was buttoning it up. "Sherlock, I'm trying to make breakfast, can't it wait until-" Sherlock glared at me.
"No." He continued to button the coat almost all the way down, and then turned to my neck. My face flushed a bit as he cupped his hands around my neck.
"Sherlock, what-" I started nervously, but Sherlock just flipped up the coat collar and fidgeted with it around my neck before saying,
"There. Now you look like a proper detective." He smiled at me and edged back onto a stool at the counter. I frowned at him, colour rising in my cheeks, and I was suddenly grateful for the coat collar blocking view of most of my face. I huffed and turned back to my pan and stirred the eggs a bit before adding a fourth. After a few seconds of Sherlock tapping first softly and then aggressively into the counter out of boredom, I heard him get up and start pushing through the fridge. After a few minutes of incessant rifling, he finally gave up and slumped back into his seat before tapping out something hard and fast into the countertop. I was scrambling the eggs but I forced myself to pay attention, because that tapping sounded for all the world like morse code.... I paused, straining to hear. 'H'... 'N'... I stopped. What the hell was he writing? That certainly wasn't any word I'd ever heard. 'J'... What?? 'O'... Wait... 'H'.... Oh. 'N'... After hearing him tap 'John' into the counter several times, I finally retaliated and started tapping out 'S', 'H', 'E', 'R'... I heard Sherlock laugh and then a swift, 'S', 'O', 'R', 'R', 'Y' was tapped into the counter. I caught myself smirking and forced myself to continue stirring the eggs instead of replying. Sherlock yawned and I glanced outside the window. A perfect day. I felt a buzz and glanced down. Who was calling me at this time on a Saturday morning?? I grabbed my mobile and pressed answer before checking the caller I.D.
"Hello?" I asked quickly.
"John!" I heard Greg shout at me.
"Hi, Greg, no need to shout this early in the morning..." I said as I grimaced at the phone.
"Sorry John, but I was wondering if you could meet me for dinner at the corner tonight? I need to talk to you about something." I nodded understandingly, before remembering that Greg couldn't see me.
"Yea, I'll be there. Alright. Alright yeah thanks. Bye." I clicked my phone and slid it back into my pocket.
"What did Lestrade want??" Sherlock asked.
"He just needs to talk about something later." I said over my shoulder. I shut off the stove and stirred the eggs a bit more before heaping some onto a plate. "Here, Sherlock." A pale hand snatched the plate off of the table swiftly as I spooned some eggs onto my own plate. I grabbed my plate and turned to see Sherlock shoving the eggs down his throat as fast as he possibly could. "Woah, Sherlock, what's the hurry?" I asked in alarm. In between his mouthfuls, I managed to catch something like, "work," "case," "murDEr," "gone shortly." I nodded and poked at my eggs. I added a bit of salt and watched as Sherlock flung his dishes into the sink, skittered about the house half naked and then practically leapt out the door. "Bye John!" I heard him call out loudly as the door slammed shut behind him. I sighed into my eggs and slumped in my seat. I decided that until Dinner I'd just have to amuse myself with things around the house.