Chapter Four

“How was it?” I asked, trying to hide the fact that my hands were shaking uncontrollably.

“Really good, actually! I think they liked my audition.” Macie smiled with confidence that I could only envy.

“That’s awesome!” I was sincere in my congratulations, but it didn’t quite come out that way. I folded my arms in hopes of stopping my hands from shaking. It didn’t work.

“Don’t worry, Nash. You’ll be great!” We hugged, and then I heard my name called.

“Natash—uh, Nash Pearson?” the drama teacher called out from the front row of the almost-empty auditorium.

“H-here,” I said as I walked onstage.

“Hi, Nash.” She was trying to be nice, but I was one of the very last to audition and I could tell that she wanted to be done with the auditions. That made me feel better.

Maybe she’s too tired to even consider me for a role. I hoped. After all, drama teachers usually know who they’re going to cast before the auditions even start!

“We’ll start with the balcony scene, if you don’t mind. Please read for Juliet.”

I nodded and recited the lines opposite the teacher. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. I ended up being asked to read through a second scene, which I didn’t think many other people had been asked to do. Still, when we finished, I’m pretty sure I let out a tiny sigh of relief.

“That was very good, Nash.” I could tell she was surprised by the way that she had lifted her glasses off her nose; as if she had to make sure it was really me, the quiet girl who’s never expressed any interests in the arts—ever. “The list will be posted outside the auditorium sometime in the next few days. Please stay tuned.”

“Thank you.” I said as I shuffled off of the stage to the spot where Macie was standing.

“Oh my gosh, Nash. You were amazing! That was seriously so good!”

I blushed in embarrassment. “Oh, thanks. Not as good as you, though.” I knew Macie only meant well in her compliment, but there was no way that I could have done a good job up there, I thought. She’s just being nice. Just being a good friend, that’s all.

“Aww you’re too nice.” Macie linked her arm in mine and we walked outside to catch the school bus. “Last period frees are absolutely the BEST!” She squealed.

I laughed at her excitement. “Well, we missed almost all of it auditioning for the play. The bus leaves in ten minutes.”

Just then, Macie gasped from seeing something nearby. “This way, now!” She tugged my arm and pulled me behind a large bush.

“What the—” I started, but the stern look on Macie’s face showed me that the smart decision would be to stop talking, so I did.

She put a finger to her lips and slowly stood up. After looking around, she decided it was “safe,” and motioned for me to stand up too. She pulled her backpack up higher on her shoulder and took her phone out, turning back into the relaxed Macie that was so familiar.

“Um…what was that?”

“What?” She didn’t even look up from her phone.

“Seriously, Macie?”

“Oh.” She laughed, finally looking back at me and slipping her phone back into her pocket. I assumed she was done with whoever she had been texting. “I forgot to turn in my math homework today. I saw Ms. Randall walk out of the building, so I hid.” She laughed again. “You know how much of a spazz she is. I can turn it in tomorrow and she’ll never know.” Macie’s phone started ringing just as she finished talking. “Oh sorry. It’s my mom.” She walked away to take the phone call, and I leaned against the wall of the school.