three

Reynold's Pub - 14 December 2016

"Maisie, can you grab another bottle of Jack from the back?"

Reynold's Pub was the only constant for me. I worked there before we met and during the year or so we'd been together. I liked that that aspect of my life hadn't changed. I feared, only slightly, that once Harry and I became more official that I'd want to leave Reynold's or that he'd want me to quit. Thankfully, that part of my life didn't change.

Over the course of the year since meeting Harry, I had cracked down on the books and graduated early with my degree in English Literature. Harry was to thank for my diploma, he was the one who pushed me to focus, helped me study though business was his strong suit, and made me want to strive to accomplish something great. I thought about getting a real job after receiving that singular sheet of paper, but I just wasn't ready to leave the pub where I found happiness. I guess I was scared to leave and move on.

My relationship with Harry grew stronger and stronger with every kiss, touch, and intimate conversation. I had never been so comfortable with someone; never been so in love. I moved into his luxurious flat only five months into our relationship and I didn't regret it a bit. He was the man I woke next to in the morning and the man that I fell asleep next to at night, though he snored throughout the night and could be one of the messiest people I've ever encountered, I had absolutely no complaints living with him. Over the year it became very clear to me that he was it for me. I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him, no matter how long or short. I couldn't imagine not being with Harry.

"Greg, we didn't have another bottle back there. Are you sure..."

I was met with utter silence in the front of the pub, which wasn't too odd for a ten-thirty on a Wednesday morning. The lack of light music was a bit alarming, which was on prior to me going into the back, and Greg was no longer in sight. I called out his name once but received no response in return.

"Okay, ha ha, very funny."

Greg was slightly notorious for his pranks, always jumping out and scaring one of his workers or doing something harmless to them. Once Greg pranked my co-worker, Ethan, into thinking that it was his birthday. Poor lad went through so much effort to buy Greg a cake and present just to find out that there was no birthday. In hindsight, I did try to warn Ethan, but he didn't believe me.

"Maisie?" With a scream I jumped back against the bartop and spin my head around to find a familiar face grinning over at me.

"Harry, you scared the shit out of me!" Harry was pretty good at accidentally giving me a fright, quite possibly because I'm easy to scare and don't pay too much mind to my surroundings. He knows I hate it when he scares me, it's something that we fight over often, but you know what they say they make-up sex is always best sex. "What are you even doing here?"

Letting my eyes scan his body, I notice the lack of his normal work attire. Instead of a pressed suit and dress shoes he seems to be wearing his casual clothes: a patterned button-down, tight jeans, and a pair of worn Chelsea boots. In his hand he held a single rose, white as snow with a stem as green as a dense forest during the summertime, similar to the roses he'd buy me on special occasions.

"Hey Maisie." Harry took a step forward and handed the rose over to me, which I took hesitantly.

"Hey there." Leaning forward, our lips meet in a brief moment before I pulled back.

There was something odd about this situation. Don't get me wrong, I loved being surprised with flowers from my, sometimes, overly-romantic boyfriend, but that day there was a difference. As far as I knew it wasn't our anniversary, wasn't my birthday, it wasn't any special day. It was an ordinary Wednesday.