Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I was greeted the next morning by Christopher.  “Good morning, Isabelle.  It is my wish that you slept well last night,” he commented.

My eyes flew open, only to be met by Christopher’s face, which was smiling down at me.  “Christopher!” I exclaimed.  “What a surprise,” I greeted, pulling the blanket over my body.

“No need to be embarrassed,” Christopher remarked, referring to my pulling at the blanket.

I gave him a confused look.  “I assure you, I am more surprised than embarrassed.”

Christopher chuckled.  “Surprised?  At what?”  I raised an eyebrow, wondering how he could find this random greeting to be normal, but Christopher took no notice.

“I came to tell you that breakfast will be ready in approximately ten minutes, and I hope to see you seated at the table with us,” Christopher said lightly.  Without another word, Christopher hopped up from my bed and glided through the room and out the door.

I groggily rolled out of bed and ran a brush through my knotted bedhead.  Upon minimal satisfaction, I threw the brush down on the vanity and ran down the steps to the dining room.  I was starving.

“Glad you could join us,” Verona said icily.

I paused, not sure how to respond.  I smiled, “Well, I’m glad my presence bring you such pleasure.”

Verona’s smirk disappeared, and she looked to her empty plate.

“We’re all pleased to see you again,” Christopher told me, his smile beaming in my direction.

I couldn’t help but look to James.  He was looking down at his plate, expressionless.  I looked back to Christopher and gave him a small, fake smile.

“Are we ready to dine?” Christopher asked joyfully.

“I’d say so,” Verona grumbled.  “I’ve been waiting long enough.”

“Why does it matter how long you’ve been waiting?” James asked under his breath.  “You hardly eat anything anyway.”

Verona smiled at James.  “A strict diet is the only way to maintain a figure such as mine.”

I inwardly rolled my eyes, but tried to keep my outward appearance indifferent.

“You must diet very strictly,” Christopher commented to me.  

I shook my head and answered, “I don’t.”  Verona’s face jolted up and her eyes met mine.  “Why would you suggest that?” I asked Christopher.

“Well, your figure doesn’t suggest otherwise,” was his reply.

Verona shifted in her seat.  “Well, we don’t all have my self control.”

The table met silence once the server came out with her cart of food.  Decent portions of food were given to all of us, except Verona.  Verona’s plate was criminally close to empty.  Yet, through the quiet dinner, Verona managed to finish at the same time as the rest of us.  She took unusually small bites.

“Lady’s don’t stuff their faces,” Verona commented when she caught me looking at her.  “Small bites are polite bites.”

I closed my mouth tight to make sure I didn’t scoft.  Making enemies isn’t a good idea, and something told me that Verona is someone I wouldn’t want to have playing against me.

Just as I finished my food and made a move to leave, Christopher stopped me.  “Wait, Isabelle,” he said lightly.  I sat back down slowly and waited for Christopher to continue.  “There’s a party tonight; It’s in Melling.  I am hopeful that you will do me the honor of accompanying me.”