12: Midnight Escapade

Songs to listen too while reading:
Sit still, be pretty by Daya
I'll find you by Lecrae [feat. Tori Kelly]

 Tori Kelly]

CRUNCH. CRUNCH. CRUNCH.

I stared down at the cobblestone path as I walked down it, listening to the sound of gravel beneath my feet. I thrust my hands into my jacket pockets and ducked my head, trying to fight the tears that threatened to spill from my eyes. It was very possible that I would never see Auntie Steph again. And what about Teyla, Daniel and Wesley? Of course, I had treated them horribly during the past week, but I had to keep them at arms' length somehow. I didn't want them figuring what where I had gone and 'heroically' come after me. They might get killed! I couldn't let that happen.

Suddenly, an approaching horse, galloping at full speed, came tearing down the town's main street towards me! I quickly glanced up, surprised, but only managed to catch sight of the deputy's hat and the lantern he held in his hand, before he whizzed past. He was too concentrated on his mission to have noticed me. For that, I was thankful.

I looked over my shoulder, watching as he came to a stop before our house! I held my breath in horror as the deputy leaped off the horse and sprinted up the garden path towards the front door.

"Hayley Schultz!" he yelled as he banged loudly on the door. "Hayley Schultz! Are you in there? I need to speak with you urgently!"

There was only ONE reason for him to be there: he knew I'd stolen the Chinese book!

With a gasp, I turned around on my heel and fled in the opposite direction. I could hear shouts of anger and surprise being hurled back and forth between the deputy and Auntie Steph, whom I presumed, had opened the door to let him in. In fact, the entire village seemed to have woken up at the commotion that was being caused. Lights began to flicker on and curious bystanders wandered into the street.

I heard the sounds of more approaching horses and ducked down a nearby alleyway, pressing myself flat against the wall as they passed. All the riders carried weapons and lanterns and had looks of grim determination on their faces.

I knew they were after me!

Grasping my backpack strap tighter, I scanned my surroundings before making a run for it. I sprinted down the street and past the last remaining houses that stood on the outskirts of Precipitous before plunging into the thick undergrowth on the side of the road.

This time, I took a different direction. Rather than go past the ranch like last time, I decided to bypass the Precipitous cliffs and travel through the vast valley separating us from the mountains. Sure, it'd be dangerous and probably crawling with invaders, but what could I do? Either way, I couldn't go back now, otherwise I'd most definitely be caught and tried for robbery. I had to keep going.

I nearly jumped out of my skin when I heard a woman screaming after me, "She went that way! I saw her! She went that way!"

"Stupid bitch," I muttered to myself as I pressed on, faster than before.