Outtake from Chapter 37, Carlisle's POV

Carlisle's POV

4:17 PM.

Exactly when Alice had predicted the disappearance of our futures.

We were under attack, and we knew our enemy.

But although our species were created as deadly enemies, thus far our interactions with the Quileutes had been tense but ended without violence.

I hoped that this confrontation would end in the same manner.

However, I had a bad feeling about this situation, one I couldn't dismiss lightly.

The fact that our home was apparently surrounded by shape-shifters strong enough to harm us was serious business. Members of our family could be torn apart or destroyed...not to mention the extremely dangerous position of our fragile human daughter.

I looked at Isabella, concerned, as the faint color leached from her face. She closed her eyes for a moment, trying to catch her breath. I was concerned how she would handle this new situation...and the repercussions that were likely forthcoming.

I felt a grave sense of unease as I turned to my quietest son, the strategic one.

“Jasper?” I questioned solemnly as he straightened out of the crouch that we had all assumed at Alice's cry.

My concern was reflected in the alert and tense faces of my family, and I noted the frequent glances in Isabella's direction (from everyone except Rosalie) as we considered the very real danger to her in particular.

Above all else, we had to keep Isabella safe...and preferably calm. She has been through so much, and severe stress could send her delicate body into a downward spiral.

“I think it's the wolf pack,” Edward murmured too low for Isabella's human hearing as his thoughts agreed with mine regarding the reason for the disappearance of Alice's vision. He continued bitterly, “It would make sense, with Jacob's obvious desire for revenge and Sam's apparent inability to control the pack.”

“I think you're right,” agreed Alice quietly. “My visions seem to vanish when they're involved...which will be a major hindrance in dealing with them. We'll be going in blind.”

Emmett huffed. “True, but at least we're not going in deaf,” he nodded toward Edward. “No matter what, we can totally take those mutts.”

I shook my head at my confident son. “I don't want this meeting to devolve into violence,” I warned.

Rosalie and Emmett began to object, but I held up my hand, silencing them. “If this situation becomes a battle, it's going to be difficult to protect Isabella; she could get hurt all too easily.”

Edward and Alice quickly nodded their agreement, and I couldn't help but notice Edward's expression.

I had never seen my son show fear. Ever.

Always the epitome of confidence, Edward.

But he was truly afraid now...afraid for Isabella's health and safety...and survival.

As was I.

I glanced over my shoulder; Isabella was watching us intently, her brows puckered into a frown. We shouldn't shut her out of our plans; after all, this situation centered around her.

Jasper was staring at Edward, obviously picking up his fear, and with a glance at me, also noted my guilt at keeping Isabella out of the conversation.