Preface/Prologue

Hey guys! Thanks for coming back! This is going to be one of my favorite books I've written so far. All rights go to BBC and all creator's of the tv show Merlin. This will be kind of a mix of both the actual story and that from the show. Hope you like it!!

Everything was pure madness. Maids and manservants were running up and down halls and stairs. The kitchen staff was running clean water up the stairs to the where the court physician lived.

Today was probably the most important day in all history. Queen Guinevere was giving birth to the heir of Camelot.

As you can imagine, everyone was there. EVERYONE. Counts, Duchesses, Queens, Kings, etc.

About three hours of waiting and pacing, the good news finally came.

"SHE'S HERE! THE HEIR TO THE CAMELOT THRONE!" an older man yelled from the top of the stairs.

Gwen's father snaked between royals and ran up the steep flight of stairs. Everyone was jumping around and clapping, smiles all lightening up the darkish room.

Her father took a sharp turn and nearly ran into the physician. "Sorry, Gaius," he quickly apologized, still running down the hall.

He finally made it to the room, quietly opening the door as not to disturb the baby.

He tiptoed around benches and tables over to where Guinevere and Arthur were cuddling a small bundle of blankets.

Tears pricked his eyes as he got closer, finally streaming down his cheeks as he saw the small baby.

Gwen looked up at her father, tears also streaming down her face and Arthur's. She held her up so he could take in his granddaughter.

She had dark olive skin, and lots of brown hair. Her nose was fat, and her round face twitched from a dream.

Her eyes were something to behold. Every so often her eyes would flick open, showing light blue eyes with flecks of gold. Nobody knew this, but that was the sign that this baby was born with magic...

"She's beautiful," Gwen's father, Tom, whispered. "She has her mothers skin and her father's blue eyes."

He stole a glance at Arthur and winked. He smiled and kissed Gwen on the forehead. Her eyes were droopy and her breathing was heavy.

Just as she was going to fall asleep, thunder boomed through the castle. Gwen clutched the baby tightly, yet gently. Lightening flashed outside, lighting up the darkened room. Gwen realesed a sigh of relief. She carefully handed the baby over to Arthur, who gently placed her in her cradle.

"Lets get some rest," Gaius whispered, ushering Tom out the door. He nodded sleepily and shuffled out of the room.

Gaius turned back to the sleepy parents and smiled. "Arthur, you can have my bed. I'll sleep in Merlins old chambers."

The mention of that name struck sadness in their hearts. Merlin had disappeared a little over a year ago, and hadn't been found since.

Arthur nodded and pulled the bed over so he could be near Gwen.

"G'night Gaius. Thank you so much for everything you have done for me and my family."

Gaius just nodded and smiled. He turned back and walked into the room.

Ten minutes later, Arthur and Guinevere were fast asleep, with their newborn baby in a cradle at their feet.

They didn't hear the door open, nor the shuffling of feet as a bearded man entered the room.

It wasn't until he knocked over a vial of sleeping poison did Arthur And Gwen wake. Even in the dark room, Arthur recognized the frail figure. "Emrys?"

The old man looked over and smirked. "So," he started with a raspy voice. "You remember me, eh?"

Emrys let out a chuckle. He looked down at the sleeping baby and smiled a toothless smile. He went down to pick her up.

"What are you doing? Emrys, STOP!" Arthur pleaded as he watched his little girl be taken from her cradle.

Emrys shook his head. "You are not ready. Her destiny is far too great for you and Gwen to comprehend. I shall care for her until she is of age."

Arthur and Guinevere watched in horror as their little bundle of joy disappear with the bearded man they once called a friend.