Chapter Two: The Card

NOTE: Oh, I guess I should mention this is set before Harry at Hogwarts, but after the Marauders. Also, everyone gets sorted in this chapter, this is just what houses I see the characters in.

    Stepping into the great hall blew Jared away. His parents always told him how beautiful it was, but he had never expected it to be this large, this endless.

The first years were rounded up and headed into line, alphabetically of course. He was taken away from his new friends and forced between two other snotty, germ-infested eleven year olds.

    Jared watched, thrilled, as Dumbledore made a speech. He had a whole collection of chocolate frog cards at home, he had two Dumbledore cards.

    After the speech, the sorting hat was brought out ceremoniously and set upon the stool in front of everyone.

    The girl that was in his cabin, Alana, went up first. The hat was place rather awkwardly on her head. Instantly, the hat shouted out,

    "Ravenclaw!"

    Alana grinned and bounced off of the seat, heading over to the table where she was met with open arms.

    There were a few kids that Jared didn't pay attention to and then Evan was up. The boy looked like a nervous wreck, shaking as he went up in front of the crowd of students.

    The hat sat on Evan's head and considered for a second, until finally, "Hufflepuff!"

    Evan seemed relieved at this answer and scurried over to the table, receiving pats on the back and food.

    After what felt like forever, it was Jared's turn. He felt tingly all over as he made his way up to the front. He sat himself upon the stool, which was overly large for being used to sit eleven year olds as Jared's feet were about ten inches off the ground.

   The hat clouded his vision as it slipped on his head, and frankly uncomfortably pushed his glasses into his face.

    A small voice sounded near his ear, "Hm, you're an usual boy."

    Jared could've laughed at that.

    "You're clever, but you don't belong in Ravenclaw, no." The hat considered. "You're brave, but you don't belong in Gryffindor."

    Jared wished the hat would just cut the crap and get on with it.

    "Slytherin!"

    Jared's vision was restored as the hat was pulled off his head. He stood up and tried to correct his hair as he headed over to the Slytherin table. He noticed how only the Slytherins cheered for him.

    Jared sat himself down at a seat. Everyone congratulated him before turning their attention back to the hat.

    "Psst." Someone whispered. Jared turned around to see a third year Slytherin tug on his robe. Jared scrunched up his face in confusion.

    "Your last name, it's Kleinman?" The boy said, astonished.

    "Um, yeah?" Jared answered. The boy's eyes lit up and he began conversing with the girl next to him. Jared opened his mouth to press for answers when he heard Zoe's name be called out.

    Jared turned around in his seat and watched the youngest Murphy kid trot up to the boy platform.

    It was not a surprise when the hat yelled out, "Gryffindor!" After all, both of their parents had been Gryffindors, along with their parents before them.

    Next up was the Connor boy. Jared frowned as Connor casually strutted up to the hat. At least Jared wouldn't have to deal with him after this.

    However, much to Jared's surprise, the hat shouted out, "Slytherin!"

What the fuck?

As Connor hopped off of the stool, the entire hall was silent. Gradually, the Slytherin kids began to clap for him. Connor slumped down into he seat next to Jared. He almost looked as if he didn't care that he had just ruined his family's streak. Or honor? Jared wasn't sure how the Murphy's would react, really.

Either way, Jared still thought the boy was a complete dick, no matter who his family was or his blood status.

After that, they ate. Jared was sure it was the finest meal he had ever tasted. Connor silently ate beside him, while Jared told some of his jokes to get everyone laughing.

They were then lead down to their common room, the dungeons. Calling it a dungeon wasn't exactly fair, as it didn't seem like one at all. It was warm and cozy and snug, even if the walls were stone and the window showed under the lake.

They were each assigned rooms, Jared was paired with a snotty-looking young boy who had already said 'mudblood' three times, a lanky boy with large, almost comical glasses, and him.

Connor.

Damn him.

Jared began to unpack his trunk as Connor set up in the bed next to him. Jared by his lip as he worked, absolutely infuriated at Connor, who seemed to have no clue something was wrong.

Did the boy have no idea that they had fought earlier?

Jared finally had everything in place when Connor glanced over at the card on Jared's nightstand, Merlin, the prize of Jared's chocolate frog collection.

"Hey, you accidentally took my card." Connor said, his voice smooth and calm. Jared instantly snapped at the boy, his hate already bubbling over for Connor.

"It's my fucking card."

Connor's face twisted into confusion and distress, his bottom lip hurting out. "You took my card!"

"I did no such thing!" Jared glared at him, standing his ground. He felt his fists ball up in hormonal rage. How dare he mess with Jared's collection.

"Give him back the card, dude." The snotty kid, Fredrick, Jared learned his name was, spoke up.

"But it's not his fucking card!" Jared gestured wildly and Connor burst into tears.

"I want my card back!"

Fredrick swore lightly under his breath and stormed across the room, snatching the card from Jared's nightstand and handing it to Connor.

"There, it's fucking settled." The boy hopped on his bed and continued whatever he was doing.

Jared watched as Connor's tears ceased falling and he gave Jared a wink, a small smile spreading across his face as he tucked Jared's card into his trunk.

Fuck him. Fuck this. Connor was going to pay. Jared didn't know how just yet, but Connor was definitely going to feel the wrath of Jared Kleinman.

They were supposed to sleep after they had finished packing, but there was no way in hell Jared could with all the adrenaline running through his veins.

He hated Connor Murphy. He hated Connor Murphy. He hated Connor Murphy.

Jared would make him regret the day he messed with him.