Part 2.3

Unedited

***

Reaching where I was at the bar, Braxton slid up beside me. "Explain," Braxton half-shouted over the blaring music. Resting his arm on the counter, he leaned towards me a few inches. The movement was small, but it was enough to make me feel the heat radiating off of his body. "What makes you think that I've already lost?"

I cocked my head to the side and looked at him. His dark eyes danced with innocent curiosity, drawing me in like a child to a flame.

My left arm, which I had been raised to get the attention of a bartender, dropped. The corners of my lips moved up, as a smile found its way onto my face. "Multiple reasons," I teased knowing there was no way that he was going to win. There was absolutely no fighting the mating bond.

"Name one. To be frank, I don't think you can," Braxton challenged with unwavering eyes. I could tell that he was liking the playful banter; that made me giddy - mainly because my mate was finally paying attention to me. I was enjoying every second of it.

"Buy me a drink and I'll give you all my reasons," I flirtatiously winked. Placing my hand on Braxton's shoulder, I spoke, "And, then some."

As if my fingers were scolding hot rods, Braxton yanked his body away from me and out of arms reach. Unnoticeably to Braxton, I shivered at the sudden departure of his body heat.  

Shaking his head, I witnessed a smile creep its way onto Braxton's face, which nearly took my breath away. Even though it was only for a split second, it had astonished me to see the way Braxton let loose; grinning he was like a gleeful child. To put the cherry on top, the way his dark brown eyes twinkled in humor caused me to feel an overwhelming sense of happiness that Braxton was mine. 

The exact moment Braxton opened his mouth to speak, he wiped the smirk off his face. His eyes, however, remained lively. "Was that your way of flirting with me?"

I wished there was a way to mentally capture a moment in time with the utmost clarity so that I could replay it, like a video, whenever I wanted. I'd capture this moment.

Sadness washed over me because his smile had disappeared but I tried not to let it show. I had to be strong. "Is it working?" I asked with hopefulness leaking in my voice.

Braxton released a chuckle that caused my heart to skip a beat. "No. Not at all."

I could have been a mile away and still have sensed the lie in his tone. He was affected. To add, his eyes were starting to become a gateway into his true soul for me. He couldn't hide or lie to me.

My mind began to drift as I wondered just how long Braxton could act like there was not a bond between us. He would have to crack sooner or later. "Whatever makes you sleep at night, Wolfie," I joked with a wide grin. 

Raising my hand, I tried to get one of the bartenders to notice me again. Like last time, they were all on the other side of the bar, not paying a lick of attention to me. "What great customer service you have here," I commented feeling irritation bubble within me.

I could feel Braxton's eyes intently study me. His stare was so intense that I had to bite back the urge to put my arm to my side and cast my head down in obedience to his gaze.

"Jeff!" Braxton's voice boomed in a demanding tone, which caused me to nearly jump a foot in the air. 

"Yes?" A voice asked as a figure hurriedly walked over to his. When the bartender reached our end of the bar, I noticed Braxton had successfully caught the attention of the bartender that tended to me when I was there last.