Your Mother

WARNING: SMUT!!!! (I'll put a warning right before it gets too bad and then when it's finished because it's hella long sorry).

Bucky's POV:

"Dad, how did you get your metal arm? Like I know you got injured but how exactly?" Alex's voice asks innocently right when we've just settled into silence and I can feel myself drifting off.

Oh god. I'm not ready to tell him these kinds of stories yet, and I especially don't feel like reliving those days right now before we are about to go talk to crowds of people. Mostly though I just haven't thought about how to break such heavy facts to my own son. Because it all leads to my past as the Winter Soldier at some point or another. Heck, he hardly even understands that I'm from the nineteen forty's.

"Son, I-"

"And was it World War Two that you fought in? I still don't understand how that is possible!" He continues, interrupting me.

"Alex." I try to stop him, my eyes still closed as I deny the fact that I'm becoming more and more awake again now. "That's a really long story and now's not the right time."

"But I just want to know!" He exclaims sounding frustrated. "It's all so confusing! And wouldn't this trip be the perfect time for you to help me understand? When it's just me and you together."

"Yes, maybe you're right. But not tonight." I practically snap but then soften. "I promise I will tell you eventually bud. But I'm not ready right now."

"Fine." He grumbles.

The room goes silent for a few minutes before he pipes up again.

"Dad..."

"What?" I can't help but groan.

I know I said I'd try harder to appreciate him and of course I do, but not at this time of the night when we have such a busy few weeks ahead of us.

"Do you enjoy your job?" He asks hesitantly.

Okay, that I can handle.

"Of course I do son." I sigh. "I love getting to help people, but the flip side of that is the amount of time I have to spend away from your mother and you."

He mumbles something under his breath which I don't really hear. But I also don't press because I don't actually know if I want to know what he said if he said it that quietly.

"How did you and mum meet?" He then asks.

Instantly as I think back to it and feel all warm and tingly inside. I can't help but let out a little laugh and shake my head at the thought of that silly first encounter, making the duvet rustle. I was so nervous... and she was just like a little fire cracker. She was far from the innocent little intern that I thought she was.

"I remember when I first met your mother,"
I start in a low, gentle voice. "She was doing her internship with the tech stuff at S.H.I.E.L.D. She's so smart, as you already know. But technology wasn't where she really wanted to use her talents in the end. She reckons she only stuck around as long as she did because of me. She was good at what she did though. Not too many people get offered internships with S.H.I.E.L.D.." I continue. "I always thought of those people as slightly nerdy, awkward people but then one day she came along, looking all immaculate and professional and beautiful with her hair and makeup done perfectly and her fashionable clothes. And then there I was probably stumbling through the door all bloodied and bruised and battered every other day as I staggered past her desk, and no doubt looking grumpy and silent every other. She tells me I had that silent, brooding thing happening, and that I really did always seem to be the one that was the most beaten up whenever I came back from missions." I chuckle. "I spent so long thinking she couldn't have cared less about me, the way she just hid behind her computer all day and hardly looked my way. That's why I took so long to work up the courage to finally talk to her. I just wish she'd told me about her feelings sooner and hadn't left me feeling so nervous for so long. She reckons it's because I was always with the other Avengers or at the very least Steve whenever she saw me. And believe it or not to a little, innocent intern that was new to the job, a whole bunch of superhero's was quite intimidating."