3

Camila's heart skipped a beat when the saw what damage the earthquake had done to the school and rest of the neighbourhood.

The school itself was one big pile of inconceivable chaos. You couldn't even see that is was a building just a couple minutes ago. Camila shivered at the thought of how many people had lost their lives in there.

The rest of the buildings in the neighbourhood were a mess too. Some houses were completely broken down and in some of them, she could see small fires probably made by the short circuit when the power breakdown happened.

The road had small cracks running all the way over the surface as far as she could see. On some places, the earthquake had even formed big holes in the road.

People were walking aimlessly over the remaining parts of the sidewalk. Some just stood there and others were already cleaning the awful mess that the earthquake had enforced. Camila noticed an old woman in a flower dress holding a broom in her hands, sweeping her front porch as if nothing had happened.

People were helping to get the wounded into the ambulances who had just arrived. Camila noticed some bodies under white sheets being lifted in cars. Her stomach turned when she realised that they were all dead.

"Don't look," Lauren spoke in a sad voice putting her warm hand on Camila's shoulder, softly pushing her away from the horrific scenes so that she now faced her.

"Let's get this kid to an ambulance shall we?" The green-eyed girl smiled.

Camila nodded

"Shit, my cheeks are probably as red as a tomato," Camila thought as they lifted up the curly haired boy placing his arms around their shoulders.

The boy looked her in the eyes. "Thank you so much for saving me and not leaving me behind. I...I don't know what to say....just.... thank you so much. You could have died but still, you made the attempt to save me....why?" The boy spoke to them in a weak voice.

"I don't want to live in the kind of world where we don't look out for each other. Not just the people that are close to us, but anybody who needs a helping hand. I can't change the way anybody else thinks, or what they choose to do, but I can do my bit. Yes, I could have died. But I would have died to try to help someone in need. And It would be totally worth it to take that risk." Camila smiled.

"I... I don't know what to say..." the boy told her while trying to hold back his tears. Camila looked over and saw Lauren stare at her in awe. Her green orbs piercing right through Camila's soul.

Lauren was the first to look away and turned her attention back to the boy leaning on their shoulders.

"What's your name kid?" Lauren asked. "Harry. My name is Harry." He told them. "What about you girls?"

"My name is Lauren and this is Camila, right?" She looked at Camila waiting for an answer. Camila simply nodded in response.

Lauren remembered her name. The butterflies immediately filled her stomach for the hundredth time today. Lauren was in the same math class as her for more than a year but Camila didn't expect her to know her name because she always was really silent and normally no one really noticed her at all.

Someone from one of the ambulances walked over to them. Looking at Harry, he signed to the ambulances to bring a brand card. Two people lifted Harry carefully in the big car.

Lauren and Camila silently walked over to the ambulance looking inside to see Harry laying on a bed. His arm was attached to an infuse. The poor kid looked really tired. His eyes were barely open as he spoke in almost a whispering voice: "Again thank you so much for saving me. Maybe I'll see you guys soon." Harry closed his eyes, probably falling asleep because the doctors drugged him to ease the pain. And with that, the doctors closed the car doors and left Camila an Lauren standing in the middle of the road watching the ambulance driving off.