16 years later
     I quickly sat up in bed at the flashback of the accident. The dreams just never stopped, haunting me. I sighed and felt the table of my nightstand, finding my clock and pressing the button. "It's 6:30 AM." The clock spoke in its monotonous robotic voice.

     "Better get ready then...." I muttered and stood up, walking over to the closet, opening the door and reaching for the tags, rubbing my hands along each of them before grabbing a grey suit, white button down and a black tie. I quickly got dressed and went into the kitchen to grab a quick bite to eat before work. I grabbed some fruit and grabbed my messenger bag, my cane and tinted glasses before walking out into the New York streets. I moved to New York to live with my aunt a few days after the accident. Frankly, I didn't mind it. I've gotten used to the noise, the sounds. It was different from Chicago but I quickly grown to it.

     I walked the crowded streets, tapping my cane on the ground, hearing people pass by. I could hear every little sound. It used to drive me crazy but I realized, I could see again by hearing. It wasn't much, I could map out a location by the sound. People were just a black mass from the neon purple. I trained my remaining four senses after the accident, in which trained new abilities along the way.

I walked up the steps to the building I worked at. I was mainly a defensive attorney, I only defended the truly innocent, wanted to get justice against the criminal.

     "Hey, Patrick." The familiar voice of my friend, Brendon spoke. I met Brendon in college since he and I were roommates. We shared a lot in common. He wasn't like Joe but he was close.

     "Hey, Brendon. What do we got today?"

     "Eh, not much. Nothing really came in today."

"Well, how's it going with the date?"

Brendon chuckled slightly. "Second date is tonight."

"Must be a keeper." I chuckled.

"Oh, he is. He loves Queen."

    "Definitely a keeper."

     "Well, what about you? That girl....oh what's her name, what have you two been up to?"

     "Selene, and it fell through "

    "Jeez, man. That's like the third one this month. You're such a player." Brendon said, followed by the sound a paper crackling. "Jeez, another report of thugs beat up...at the dock this time. I wonder who's taking these thugs down. There's nothing about the mysterious vigilante."

     "I'm sure there's gonna be something soon. Also, how come Sarah hasn't shown?"

     "How'd you-?"

     "She would've greeted me when I entered the building."

     "Oh...right. Frankly, I have no idea where she is. It isn't like her to not show up. Maybe sick or something...."

     "Maybe....." I muttered.

"Hold up, your lip is cut. What happened?"

"Ran into a door." I lied and walked into my office, shutting the door. I couldn't tell Brendon what I really did, that would lead to problems.

****************************************

I worked quietly at my desk, filling out paperwork before the door slammed open. "We got a client." Brendon said.

     "Great. What's the description and who is it?" I asked.

     "Charged with an account of first degree murder and its........oh no......"

      "What?"

      "It's Sarah."

      I quickly stood up. "What?! When did the crime take place?"

     "Time of the victim's death was 11:00, Sarah was arrested at 11:30."

      "Then, let's go to the station, see what we can do."