Chapter Five

Five

     The school holiday began when more snow came down. I planned to pick Harry up from work today and we could go to Zara's shop. I liked it there, the flowers. Harry only had a morning shift while Max took the afternoon one. Max was now spending the morning with Anne at the malls. He had bought many packs of that brand of cookie that he hated.

     The white snow was falling, landing on my arms. I thought of Don and the little flower he'd picked, and the leaf on his head, and the lake water on him. I could feel the fiery temperature of his hand on my skin.

     We hadn't really talked since my parents left. Harry had no reason to be embarrassed because of Don. He was though.

     "Hey," I heard someone called me and I turned around.

     It was, I was shocked to see, Don. Did he hop out from my head? I wanted to be mad at him. Don was smiling, wearing a raincoat with hands in his large pockets.

     I ignored him, I had to.

     "What's wrong?"

     "Goodbye, Donald."

     "Wait," he strode to catch up with me. Don was walking next to me, but I was not allowed to look at him. "I am sorry, Minnie. I shouldn't have crushed at yours the other day - but I was drunk! People are stupid when they're drunk."

     "Do they tell the truth though?" I asked.

     "No," I heard Don said. "They make things up. Nothing's true."

     I glanced at Don and he looked transparent. I felt like being inside of something and sinking along with the Titanic, and when I looked again, the surface of the water just grew dull and untouchable.

     "Oh," I said.

     "I said I am sorry, what is wrong?" Don asked. "Stop glaring at me."

     "I am looking, not seeing though," I replied, "and that night, I saw and I didn't look."

     "What do you mean?" Don asked. He was stupid I realised. "Oh I get it, you mean me? I wasn't looking probably, but you were wearing pyjamas. That's really cute of you." Don laughed. "It's weird how you look at me now, is there dirt on my face or something?"

     "There's a great amount of dirt all over your body," I said.

     "I don't know what you're talking about," Don said. "But look, whatever that I've said that day, it wasn't true. I was drunk and people act silly. Don't take it seriously."

     "Okay," I replied. "And so you don't like me and we should stop talking now. I opened my doors to let you see me, but you look and you lie. You're very charming when you lie."

     "What do you mean?" Don said with a light sneer, "What have I done? I know I've messed up with Harry and I just woke up with my face and stomach hurting - but you don't have to be mean to me."

     "When I went down stairs to collect my phone and my eyeliner, I found a little flower. Do you remember that?"

     "Should I remember that?" Don asked.

     "No you shouldn't, and I am glad you did not," I grinned. "I am going to stop talking to you."

     He didn't say anything so I walked past him. He hoped he would burn on stick. I saw Harry soon and he took my hand and kissed me affectionately. I didn't want him to. We made our way to Wonder Petal slowly. We would be spending the entire afternoon there. I was making up for Harry.