five

the cab stopped at the usual spot. he got off when she arrived at the bus stand. he had to bunk a lecture to be on time.

     she was all sweaty and tired. when he walked closer, she didn't realize he had come and was busy talking to the same friend she had. "arey, tanmay is such a horrible dancer! i swear, if i hadn't kept my balance, i would've been on the floor!"

     "but do you like tanmay?" asked her friend.

     it got him a little alert and anxious. he had never thought about the possibility that she must've had someone in her life already.

     before she could reply, she looked ahead and saw him. he turned his head away quickly. she smiled knowing that maybe he did feel a little the same as she did. and she replied a little loudly so that he could listen, "no. he's just a friend. i can't think of having him as a boyfriend."

     a sense of satisfaction invaded him and it showed on his face. she saw that and was happy he knew. maybe he was single too?

     the bus ride wasn't that special that day. they sat at their usual places and only came in contact when they had to get off. he smelt the sweet fragrance of her hair as he stood right behind her.

     she saw him looking at her from the mirror ahead. she was so hooked onto him that she almost fell off when the bus jerked. but his tough hands caught her.

     "thanks." she said as she saw the concern in his eyes.

     "madam, theek se chaliye. (madam please walk properly.)" said the bus driver before he could say anything.

     she nodded and walked down the bus. again, they didn't make eye contact after turning their backs.

     the sensation of his touch lingered with her throughout that day. it made her blush every time she remembered it.