Chapter 31: What Exactly Happened Last Night?

Start writing your story

Haha I'm just kidding about the discontinuing thing. I wanted to see if anyone reacted. AnYwAy, I'm writing this chapter with my new touchscreen chromebook that my highschool gives out which is super cool. I'm kinda flipping out right now. Okay, well on to the story.

———————————————————————

Mike's POV

My eyes fluttered open, feeling heavy. Looking around the unfamiliar house, I squinted, trying to focus. I frowned, confused at what was happening.

I closed my eyes again, only to open them again. I looked down at the pretty face settled in my lap. She was breathing softly, making a hair in her face float. I couldn't contain my smile as I looked at her.

I moved my hand and started playing with her hair. She stirred slightly, still partially asleep. I sang softly as to not wake her up.

"I gotta take a little time, a little time to think things over. I better read between the lines, in case I need it when I'm older," I twirled her hair in between my fingers as I finished the rest of the verse, "In my life there's been heartache and pain. I don't know if I can face it again. Can't stop now, I've traveled so far, to change this lonely life."

I touched her cheek with my fingers, "I want to know what love is, I want you to show me. I want to feel what love is, I know you can show me."

"So..."

I jumped when I heard a very low voice. I looked up to see Hopper standing across the room in a button down shirt and a pair of jeans. He looked just like a dad.

"Hi," I said hesitantly.

He nodded, "So," Hopper started as he made his way into the living room. I could still see him from where I was sitting, "What exactly happened last night may I ask?"

I frowned, wondering what he thought had happened. He saw my expression and continued, "The gauze in the bathroom, your clothes and El's hanging up, and your whole couch...situation," he looked slightly pissed off, staring at my hand still in El's hair. I removed my fingers quickly.

I cleared my throat, "I was doing homework and I decided to come over here. So I came when it was raining and El was out in the rain. I went out to surprise her and that explains our wet clothes."

Hopper raised his eyebrows, "And?"

"Well, I...um...asked her to dance. And she slipped and fell, so I had to wrap her foot." I looked down, slightly embarrassed to see his reaction.

Hopper was still looking at me with an intense gaze, "And am I to assume that you changed in front of each other?"

I shook my head rapidly, "No, no sir. She went to her room and I changed here," I rubbed my palms on my pants, removing the sweat from them.

"And how do you have dry clothes?" The interrogation went on.

"Well...um...I had extra clothes in my backpack because I had to bike here, so um....since it was raining," I couldn't tell him that the real reason I would have to change clothes would be if I had to wait outside...again.

"What I don't understand is how you knew I had a late shift at work."

My face went red, "Um...Max...she told me that she saw your car at the station."

The chief shook his head, "Those damn Mayfields."

I smirked. I could relate with that statement. Hopper stood up, heading into the kitchen, "I want you to be honest with this one, okay Wheeler?" his gaze was hard and stern as he stared me in the eyes. I nodded.

"Did anything happen between you two?" He lowered his chin and looked at me under his bushy eyebrows.

I gulped, "We watched a movie and we..uh...kissed...but I mean-"

"So, how long have you two been kissing?" he cut me off, turning around and searching inside a large cabinet at eye level.

I squirmed. I didn't want to answer that but I feared he would shoot me if I didn't. He might've shot me anyway depending on my response. "Um, the first time was at the school the night she disappeared," I rushed out the words, wanting to get the screaming over with.

Jim remained expressionless, "Any other time since then?"

I shrugged, "Well, yea. A couple of times."

He looked up at me, almost as though he was evaluating whether I passed the test or not, "Well, Mike. I need you to know some things. First thing. If you hurt her or touch her in any way that would compromise her integrity, I will kill you on the spot. Second thing. I don't want you to do any of the lovey dovey stuff while I'm around. Third thing. This is the only time, I repeat the only time, that you will spend the night. Do you understand me?"

I nodded, "Yes sir," The way I said it made me sound full of confidence, even though I was terrified.

"Good," his face softened a little bit, "Now I'm gonna make breakfast. After breakfast, I'm taking you home. I called your mother last night."

I nodded, looking down at Eleven again. I could almost feel Hopper's eyes boring into the back of my head, "Why don't you help me make pancakes, Wheeler."

I got up as fast as I could without waking El, "Yep, yep. That's a good idea."

I headed into the kitchen, standing next to the tall man. It was funny to see him carrying around measuring cups and spatulas. He was actually rather good at cooking. The batter was just the right consistency.

"Hey now. I didn't know you were a master chef," I chuckled.

He smiled widely, "You gotta know how to cook when you have a daughter that is hungry all the time."

"True."

I heard a rustle on the couch and El popped her head up from the cushions. She saw me and smiled, then froze.

"Mike?! Why are you still here?" she said in a scared whisper.

Hopper smirked, "He stayed the night, Eleanor. Which will not happen again."

She nodded quickly at her dad. When he looked away, she met my eyes and shook her head with a sly smile, "It's gonna happen again," she mouthed.

All I could do was nod before Hopper turned back to us.