4

"I can't do this," I whisper to myself. I had been standing on the Hamilton's front porch for about 20 minutes. Deciding if I should knock or not. As, mad as I am at Philip, I just need someone's shoulder to cry on, he was the only person I knew my age in New york and he always knows what to say. Philip wouldn't even want to see me and if he did he would probably be asleep by now.

I sigh as I exit his porch. His lawn was a beautiful shade of green. His whole house was beautiful. So poise and perfect like I strived to be. I feel jealousy rise in me. He has everything I want. Happy parents, cute siblings, the gift of words, and good looks. It must be nice to be a Hamilton. No worries because there father is so good in court.

I wish I had Philip's life. He can have anybody he wants where I have to marry a 18 year old man I barely know. I start to feel tears brim in my eyes at this. I want to be free and not tied down by some man I haven't seen since I was young. Tears flow down my cheeks in frustration. I know my cheeks are red and I start to shake.

"Delilah?" A voice asks. I shake myself from this trance. I hadn't realized I was staring at the perfect house. I look up at the window in front of me to see Philip staring at me. Great he probably thinks I'm some stalker.

"Hello, Mr. Hamilton. Sorry I was taking a walk and I found myself here. I was about to leave," I tell him as I sniffed away my tears. I turn around facing the forest that will led me to my father and the marriage I do not want.

"Stay," Philip asks from his window. I turn and look up at him. He had a shy smile and his cheeks are red. I smile at him.

"Okay, but I can not climb up your house like you can mine," I tell him with a small laugh.

"It's no problem I'll just sneak you up," He tells me.

"You do this a lot Hamilton?" I joke with him.

"Only with pretty ladies," He jokes back. I laugh a little. He disappears from the window and about a minute after he opens the front door.

"My siblings are deep sleepers but my mother isn't and my father is awake so you need to be quiet until we get to my room," He informs me.

"Got it," I smile at him. He guides me through his pristine white house. It was so organized and proper. It reminded me a bit of Monticello.

Soon enough we are in his room. He had a queen sized bed with a green cover. His walls were a cream color with a small wooden desk in the corner. He had a whole wall of books.

"Woah, that's a lot of book," I stupidly say. He laughs at me.

"Sorry I love to read," I say with a small blush.

"It's no problem. You can take one of the books," He tells me.

"Oh, no! I can't," I tell him.

"Why not? I've read almost all of them," He tells me.

"No really, I will feel to guilty," I say. He shrugs and flops onto his bed. I follow his lead laying down next to him. We both stare at his ceiling.

"Have you ever heard of the love story between Alcyone and Ceyx?" Philip asks me softly. I look over at him but his head doesn't turn. He was in some type of trance.

"No," I say quietly. He laughs a bit.

"Well, there was this married couple named Alcyone and Ceyx and their love was so beautiful, people would refer them to Hera and Zeus. Well, out of anger Zeus threw a lightening bolt at the man's ship when he was sailing. Ceyx's ship sunk, drowning, and killing him," I gasp at the evil murder but he just continues, "When Alcyone heard about his death she threw herself into the sea to be with her love. Zeus and Hera felt so awful for the couple they turned them into kingfishers. This event is what 'by legend' started the 'halcyon days'," he says.