Part 21

Day 8

  It was the eighth day of Connor being asleep and so far there hadn't been any signs of him waking up soon. Evan sat in Connors hospital room reading a book Connor had told him about I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson. Evan loved the title and the cover. The beautiful streaks of colour surrounding the title. So far he was enjoying the book even though he'd only started reading it that day. He was starting on a new chapter when he heard the light pitter of rain. "Hey Connor?" Evan asked knowing the answer wouldn't come. "Wasn't one of the things on our list to dance in the rain?" He stood up and opened the curtains of Connors hospital room window. Sure enough there was rain begging to pour down from the dark grey clouds that hung in the sky. "I think I'd look crazy dancing out in the rain alone, especially in front of a hospital" Evan spoke. He slowly shifted his weight from one foot to the other swaying gently to the sound of the rain. Connor walked up behind Evan holding him swaying with him. Evan turned to look at his boyfriend sighing realizing he was never behind him. Connor was still in the bed, still asleep.

Day 12

Cynthia and Evan were both sitting at Connors bedside talking. "So Evan, Heidi told me about your project your doing for when Connor wakes up"
"My what? Oh! The bucket list?"
"Yes, that's what she called it. How's that coming?" Cynthia asked. "Really good actually, I've almost completed the things I can do alone. Today I brought a kite and floating lantern. I figured since it's so windy today I could try flying the kite out the window and when it gets dark, right before visiting hours are over, I can release the lantern also out the window. Y'know so it's sort of like Connor and I are doing it together" Cynthia smiled widely placing a hand on Evans shoulder. "I'm proud of you Evan, you're doing so well with all of this. Staying by Connors side, talking to him, making this photo album for him. I appreciate it a lot and I know Connor does too. He'll wake up soon I known it"
"I hope he does"
"Well my lunch break is just about over. Is Heidi picking you up tonight or am I?" She asked. "My moms getting me, thank you for offering though"
"Anytime sweetie"

~time skip~

"Well Con, I'd consider the kite a success. It may have blown away but at least it was in the air" Evan chuckled "Ready to release this lantern?" Evan grabbed the lighter he had brought off the side table and lit the candle in the lantern. He carried it over to the window and gently pushed it up into the air watching the little light twirl away into the night sky. He sat there starring at it as it drifted getting smaller and smaller. "Evan?" said a voice behind him. Evan turned around. "Oh hey mom. Is it time to go?" He asked his mother who was standing in the doorway. "Yep. Pack up your stuff and shut the window I'll be waiting in the car" she told him. Evan nodded and Heidi left. He did as told, before leaving Evan sat next to Connors bed again holding his hand making small circles on Connors palm with his thumb. "I hate to leave you, but I'll be back in the morning I promise. Goodnight Connor. I love you" Evan met Heidi in the car and they went home.

  It was 6:09am the Evan got the call that next morning. The world was barely awake yet his phone was ringing. He sat up and answered it forgetting to check the caller ID. "Evan," said a panicked voice on the other end of the call "Connors awake"