Prologue: The Forgotten Summoner

Prologue: The forgotten summoner

Before the times of magic, upon the birth of Runterra there was a war unlike any other. Between the Void and the first humans. It was a vicious battle, lasting many millennia before finally a single mortal ended the war single handedly. He was different than other mortals, able to perform magical feats only thought to be god like. But it was his ability to summon any creature to do his bidding that won him the war. The first ever summoner. Within a day he had killed every Void creature on Runeterra and his famed valor was what gave birth to the name Valoran. But such triumphs do not last forever. After the war ended and the era of peace begun, the people slowly begun to fear his power. Such magic could bring ruin to the world. So the people tricked the first summoner, locking him in a prison far below the depths of the surface of Runeterra, never to see the light of day again...

"An interesting choice High Councilor?" a deep voice boomed.

High Councilor Reginald Ashram had been reading a random book that caught his interest in the archives. Upon being addressed he slammed the book shut in surprise, turning around to the being that had addressed him.

"Ah Nasus, I see you are still awake," he stated, smiling awkwardly. "Gave me quite the scare."

"I do not sleep High Councilor," the ascendant replied. "And my apologies for startling you."

The old summoner chuckled, a hint of youth lighting up his eyes. His once blonde hair was paling, with hints of grey. A short beard was situated on his face, which made him look younger than he truly was. Reginald wore the traditional summoner purple robe, but his hood was off his head.

"Ah yes, don't worry about it," Reginald stated, bowing respectively. "I couldn't sleep so I decided to find something to read. I was hoping to find something on the history of Valoran when I stumbled upon this."

He showed the book in his hand. It was a dirty brown diary, obviously old by the torn leathered straps and pages that stuck out from the diary.

"I don't recall ever seeing it before, so I was curious," Reginald continued. "It was the first time I ever read anything about the beginning of the world. Do you happen to know anything about this diary?"

Gently, the old summoner passed the diary to the towering ascendant. Nasus peered at the covers of the page, before opening the front page.

"I have read every record in the Archive, yet this is the first time I have seen this," Nasus answered, an obvious tone of confusion was evident in his voice. "I am afraid, that I cannot help you here High Councilor. This diary is beyond my knowledge."

The large dog like being returned the diary to Reginald. The High Councilor was lost in thought as he held the book in his hands.

"Nasus may I borrow this diary for a night?" Reginald asked. "Perhaps after a good read I can make some sense of it."

"You may," Nasus replied. "I pray that you find the answers you are seeking."

The High Councilor bid the ascendant farewell, before making his way out of the Institutes Archives. He was just about to leave when he stopped just before the door.

"Nasus, can you not tell anyone about the details of this diary?" he asked, a serious expression on his face.

"Could I be entitled to know why?"

"It's just a gut feeling. But you never know."

"...You have my word."

"Thank you."

Reginald exited the archives and didn't waste anytime in returning to his chambers, where he locked his door before walking to his desk. Switching on his lamp he opened the diary to where he had stopped reading.

The power of the first summoner was beyond imagination. The creatures he summoned were of gods and demons. Even death itself fell under his power. But it's been many millennia and people have forgotten the first summoner. I too am a summoner myself. My family have watched and guarded this secret for many generations, and even though it's been many generations, I grow wary. He had been tricked by the citizens of Runeterra, possibly by people he had trusted. Surely this would enrage anyone. An angry being that could supposedly control death. What if he still lives?

Reginald stopped reading. What if he still lives? Those words sent a chill down his spine. He turned the page to continue reading about the first summoner, but the next page had been about a creature known as wyvern. Reginald had begun to desperately flip page after page, searching for more information of the supposed first summoner. It wasn't until he reached the end of the diary did he realize there was nothing else about this apparent being.

He slammed the book shut in frustration, resting his head in his hands as he begun to think. There was no way this was true right? Surely within ancient times there had been no way to document anything...that's why there had never been anything about the beginning of Runterra...so why should be believe this tale? This was surely a figment of someone's imagination was it not? Beside, if this truly happened all those years ago, surely this first summoner wouldn't be alive now.

Reginald lifted his head and looked at his shaking hands.

'Am I scared?' he thought to himself.

Standing from his seat, he walked to his bed, deciding to sleep on it for the time being. Perhaps tomorrow might pose a become outcome.

Though that was the last time High Councilor Reginald Ashram was ever seen. By the time his chambers were searched, the diary he had been reading was nowhere to be seen.