Chapter 2: The Mentor and The Apprentice

Maverick was working on his skateboard as he struggled with putting in the axel. When he did get it on, it was too tight and he let out a sigh as he felt a hand reach in and take the skateboard.

"Oil. Looks like you'll have a fast one, but have a bit of a hard time turning." Connor added as the light haired teen nodded as Connor handed him the oil. It stinked like a car as Maverick gingerly added the oil to the metal part. It turned easier now and wasn't so stiff, but didn't turn as far as some skateboards. Maverick looked over to Connor's skateboard which was still lying beside him.

Maverick compared the two as he nodded in approval, he grabbed the gray and dark green paint and made the corse gray and the wood a dark green. Maverick held it up in approval then felt a rock in his stomach,

"Hey, what's up?" Connor asked, slightly concerned as he could tell something was up.

"I don't know how to ride a skateboard." Maverick said clearly as he set the skateboard to his side and Connor gave him a pat on the back that felt more like a smack, startling Maverick,

"Hah, I'll teach ya." Connor said as he grabbed his own skateboard and beckoned for Maverick to follow which he did. Maverick quickly walked down the stairsteps as once he got off it, he immeaditly got on his board and glided againist the smooth cement. Swerving through a few railings and doing an ollie over one then landing cleanly on his board.

Connor skidded to a halt and kicked the end of it so it flipped off from his feet and into his hands,

"Ok, so the first rule is to basically keep your knees bent. Not a lot, but just enough to keep balance. Overtime you'll be able to stand up with no problem." Connor told the younger teen who nodded and put his skateboard down and got on it. He wobbled slightly and then crouched his knees and stuck his hands out like a plane to retain his balance.

"Hehe, ok, I am going to push you now so you're used to moving and retaining balance." Connor explained as Maverick nodded though he was scared like crazy. Connor gently placed his hands on the small of Maverick's back and pushed with him as he moved. Maverick got comfortable as he put his hands down and kept his knees bent. Maverick then felt the hands from his back dissapear and once this happened. He was skating for a split second before he lost his balance and the skateboard slipped away and he fell.

Maverick was about to hit the ground before he felt a pair of strong arms catch him,

"Got ya Mave." Connor said looking down at the scared teen who looked back up at him. Connor helped him up by lifting him with his legs. Maverick then placed his feet down on the cement floor and went to go get his skateboard,

"Try again, I am not gonna be holding on to you this time though. Stay by the wall actually." Connor said, throwing his head over to the wall as Maverick nodded and placed the skateboard down as he slowly got onto it. He wobbled again as he bent his knees and regained balance. Maverick smiled slightly, a glimmer of hope. He moved his left arm againist the wall and with his right foot, he stepped off and moved.

Maverick let out a nervous laugh as he did so again, easily getting the hand of it.

"Yeah there you go. Now get out the wall and skate just straight to me." Connor said as he got a few meters away from Maverick and stood a good distance away from him. Maverick let out a gulp as he pushed off the wall and slowly moved over to Connor. Connor held out his arms to catch him as Maverick stopped halfway, he didn't want to push off.

This made Connor laugh,

"You're gonna have to push off Maverick." Connor said as Maverick moved both of his feet on the board and made a rocking motion so he moving just inches to Connor. Connor cocked an eyebrow at him as Maverick sighed nervously. He put his right foot off the board and onto the floor, he pushed off and put his foot quickly back on the board.