Chapter Four: A Different Side of Me

Daniel’s POV:

    I rolled over as I slowly woke up. My head was pounding and I felt sick to my stomach. The urge to vomit suddenly overcame me and I scrambled for the bathroom, barely making it into to spill my guts into to toilet. After the sickness passed I went to dig some painkillers out of my bag. I popped two into my mouth and watched them down with water from the sink. Memories from last night came flooding back. The bar, partying, drinking, lots of drinking, and T.C. helping my back to the hotel. I felt like an idiot. She must think I’m not capable of controlling myself. I’ve never had a problem with alcohol by any stretch, but she doesn’t know that. I wonder if she is judging me. I looked at my watch. I still had several hours before I had to be at the airport. I quickly changed into fresh clothes and then jogged down to her room. I knocked on the door a few times before the door swung open. T.C. stood there, wearing a team shirt, skinny jeans and flip flops. Her curly hair was down, just how I liked it.

    “Do you feel alright?” she asked. She was concerned for me, I knew it, she thinks I’m some kind of drunk.

    “Um yeah. I’m alright now. Just a bit of a headache… and nausea.” He rubbed the back of my neck nervously.

    “Do you want to come in?” she offered, making room for me to come through the door. I nodded and went into her room. She grabbed her cup of coffee off the dresser as she passed it “Do you want one?” she held up the cup of coffee to show what she was referring to. I shook my head no. she sat down on the bed and took a big gulp from the mug. It wasn’t even nine in the morning and somehow she already looked perfect.

    “Um, I want to apologize.” I said nervously shifting my weight back and forth.

    “For what?” she cocked her head to the side. She genuinely didn’t know what I was apologizing for.

    “For last night. I shouldn’t have gotten so drunk, and I shouldn’t have put you in the position of having to get me back here.” I looked at the ground. She patted the bed in front of her for me to sit down. I obliged.

    “Honey,” her accent thick like honey “You don’t have to apologize for anything. I didn’t mind one bit. I’ve done it for my brothers many times and I don’t mind doing it for you. Daniel, we’re team mates. I’m on your team, I would do anything for you.” She patted my knee.

    “You shouldn’t have to take care of me though.” I shook my head.

    “What am I here for? To have your back and help you be successful.” She answered her own question. “That doesn’t have to be limited to the track sugar.”

    “I’m having a really hard time.” I mused. I was having a hard time with a lot of things. Letting T.C. help me. Not acting like an idiot. Opening up.

    “I know.” she said softly.

    “Trusting is hard for me. It’s such a big change.” I frowned. “I just need to know you better.”

    “Well, we’ve got a few hours. Lets get to know each other. Ask me anything.” she crossed her legs, getting comfortable.

    “Alright.” I said feeling a bit more confident. I thought for a second about what I wanted to know about her. “Okay, I’ve got it. What’s T.C. short for?” a wide grin spread across her face.

    “That’s too personal. I can’t tell you. Pick something else to ask me.” she had a twinkle in her eye.

    “Come on! You said you’d tell me anything.” I prodded.

    “No, I said you could ask me anything. I didn’t say I would tell you.” she winked. I grinned at her.

    “That’s not fair.” I pretended to pout. “Please won’t you tell me?”