Secrets of Destiny

Chapter One

“The Last Morning” 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      From The dairy of Veda Swoon:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 April 16th, 400 AC

    This morning beings another chill down my spine as soon as I feel the suns heating rays crawl across the wooden floor, up on top of waking furniture, and to my warm body. Today is the last say that my town (Holivan) is preparing to send another batch of innocent men to their deaths and into the hate-filled inferno of Holivan and Colline’s ever-lasting war… Plus I’m accused of treason. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  “Veda!”

  I dropped my quill pen on my sturdy cherry oak wood desk that my father has gotten me for my 16th birthday; the quills dried ink leaving half of my page written on, the other half empty. 

 My mind reminds me of my dark future like the rising sun that counts my days Intel I must confess my sins.

 I must keep all this silent Intel I can’t contain it anymore. 

My quick breath stirs the other darker side of me as I quickly cover my daily writing entries that expose my secret, and the voice of my father brings me to our small cold poorly lit living room.

 My father is standing near the door with a friendly smile painted on his tan face, a face I could never forget. 

 “You ready honey?” He asks politely in which I reply with a warm smile and a smooth nod.

  Today my father is wearing black shoe, (only a year old) black light skin-tight pants, a thin midnight black long sleeved shirt (with another short matching top over the undershirt) and a short mustache to finish the look off. 

 “Anna!” My father (Peturo, a kind sensitive yet brave man indeed) politely calls my six year old younger sister, grabs his light black jacket with important war documents tucked under his bent right strong arm.

  I wonder what they have hidden in them.

 “Oh but Veda, you would beg for that information.” Taunts a voice only inside of my head like it was too important to share out loud, and so unlike my own; a man’s perhaps. 

  I hear my younger sister opening her wooden bedroom door and walk through the dimly lit short hallway that leads to my parents, Anna (and my own) bedrooms. 

 Anna appears behind me, her combed semi-straight dark chocolate hair tucked gently behind her small ears, her eyes bright with joy of waking up to seeing her two favorite people; Peturo and me.

 She’s never going to be the same after today Veda, enjoy this time while it lasts.

 The voice comes back, I try not to look distraught by its comments all the time; this voice has walked into my head ever since the night the prince and I kissed like our lives depended on it.

 My father tries not to make the guilt painted on my face noticeable when he catches it in a heartbeat before its gone. 

 I look behind me and see her lightly tanned face beaming; her mouth wide and her eyes round, her cheeks smooth like mine, even the way she walks is a twin to my movements. 

 Only my hair is raven black and hers, a dark chocolate brown; mine like my mothers and hers like my fathers, our eyes are the same way.

 My ivy green eyes match my mom’s perfectly and Anna’s hazelnut eyes sit closely noticeable with my dad’s speckled hazelnut eyes.