Chapter Thirty Seven ~ The Appointment

Natsu woke up and curled himself around Lucy, their bodies entangled with each other. He stared at her as her head lay on his bare chest sleeping peacefully. He still couldn't believe that he was lucky enough to get to wake up to her everyday. Luck had really been in his favor. He adjusted himself so he could bend down better and kiss her forhead. He hated that he was going to have to climb out of this bed soon and leave her, but he had something extremely important to do today.

He tried to gently move himself out from under her without waking her but she wrapped her arms around his neck. "Where do you think you're going?" She asked sleepily opening her eyes to look at him.
He grinned at her, "Good morning my princess. I have some stuff to take care of this morning. Though i don't really want to leave."

She pulled herself on top of him and smiled seductively, "so don't." She pulled his face to hers kissing him passionately as she entwined her fingers in his pink locks. He wrapped his arms around her waist knowing that he wasn't going to be able to leave yet.

An hour later they both lay in the bed breathless. Natsu looked down at the beautiful blonde laying underneath him. "Baby, as much fun as I have with you I really have to go for a little while. I have something I have to take care of. But I promise I'll return as soon as I can. "

She looked at him and pouted, "Can't you at least stay for breakfast?" She asked.

He bent his head down and kissed her lip, nibbling at the bottom one for a moment before speaking, "I already had breakfast," he grinned at her. She playfully slapped his arm as he sat up on the edge of the bed retrieving his pants.

"You can be such an idiot." She said sarcastically. Natsu laughed at her annoyance.

"Yeah, but I'm your idiot." He grinned. He pulled his shoes on his feet, grabbed his shirt pulling it on, and then bent down to kiss his beloved on more time before he left. "I love you princess. I'll be back in a bit."

"I love you too," she replied, and with that he was out the door. Natsu jumped in his car and headed home as quickly as he could.

When he got home he quickly showered then found his nice blue polo shirt and his black dress pants. He threw them on then grabbed his phone and made a phone call. He listened as the phone rang a few times before a voice on the other end answered, "hello?" The voice spoke.

"This is Natsu," he said calmly. Though secretly he was very nervous, "Is he still available?"

The person on the end didn't speak for a moment. Crap I might be too late! Natsu thought to himself. Finally the voice spoke, "Yes, he's in town for a few more hours."

"I'm on the way." Was Natsu's only response before he hung up the phone, grabbed his keys, and headed out the door.

----------

When Natsu pulled up at the gates of the Heartfilia Estate his breath caught. He had come from money too, but nothing compared to what Lucy's family had. His family had always been more focused on each other than their riches, it was one of the things he'd been the most proud about growing up. He rolled down his window and pushed a button on the key pad by the gate. After a moment the pad buzzed and the gate rumbled open. Natsu drove his car up the mile long driveway and parked in front of the house. He climbed out the car and walked to the doors. He knocked and waited nervously until the door was opened.

Finally a little white haired lady opened the door. "Yes may I help you?" She asked looking at him.

"Yes ma'am. I'm Natsu Dragneel." He said trying to keep his voice calm. "I have an appointment with Mr. Heartfilia."

"Please come in," she said as she opened the door waving him inside, "Stay here, I'll return in a moment". He walked into the foyer and stood looking around. This place wasn't anything like the house she had lived when they were kids. The house then was full of life. Her mother had made it into a home, full of love and beauty. This place was like a prison. It was cold and dark. There were no pictures or hanging flowers, no beautiful curtains, nothing that resembled a family living here. It was so sad, so lonely. It broke Natsu's heart to think this was how lucy had been living for all that time after they had moved.

When the maid finally returned she looked at Natsu. "Please follow me," she said leading him up a flight of stairs and down a long hallway. She stopped at a large door at the end of it. "Mr. Heartfilia is expecting you. Please go in." And with that she turned and walked away. Natsu took a deep breath and opened the door walking into the office. Please let this go well! He screamed in his head. He looked around the office, it wasn't much better then the rest of the house. It was dark, but it had ceiling high shelves stacked with books. This is probably why she loves to read, he thought to himself with a smile.

He walked up to the large oak desk and extended his hand out. "Mr. Heartfilia, I don't know if you remember me or not, I'm Natsu Dragneel." He said as calmly as he could. The big blonde man looked up from the papers he was looking at. He looked Natsu over one good time before leaning back in his chair twirling a pen between his hands.

"I know who you are. You and that other little boy used to play with my daughter when you were children." He said very impatiently. Natsu realized the man wasn't going to shake hos hand so he set it down. "So what business do you have with me that you felt it was so urgent you needed to interrupt me?" He asked.

Yup definitely annoyed. Natsu thought, Greeaaatt. "Well sir, it's about your daughter Lucy."

This peaked the man's interest as he cocked an eyebrow at the pink haired boy. "What about her?" He asked intrigued.

"Well sir...," Natsu paused for a moment, " I am madly in love with her. I have been since we were children, and she loves me too. So, I came here today to ask for your blessing to ask for her hand in marriage."

The man looked up at Natsu rather amused with a smirk on his face, "And what makes you think that I would give you my blessing?"