Chapter 1: Lydia

Lydia was different from all the other mermaids. She was adventurous and she loved the human world, their intelligence interested her very much. All of the other mermaids learned about how to care for children, how to cook and how to hide from those "nasty land lubbers". Everyone was very frightened of the humans. Whenever they'd see a ship, they would hide in caves until the humans were gone. But Lydia would, instead of hiding, get close to the ship and examine the people, of course from afar. She would get in trouble on a daily basis for doing so, but she couldn't help it! She wanted to learn more! Even her tail was different. Her tail had a beautiful shade of pink that got darker as it went down to the bottom of her fin. In the light of the bright golden sun, it looked like it had glimmering silver sparkles. The rest of the mermaids had standard shades of color like dark purple or light blue. She never really knew why her tail was like that. Some say the she has the most beautiful tail of all the seven seas.

Lydia is usually a very happy and joy filled mermaid that always looked on the bright side of everything but today, she was much sadder than usual. It was the first day of summer and her pod would have to move to another part of the ocean because summer is usually the time of year when all the humans get into the water to cool off and go fishing. It risks them getting discovered. Lydia decided to talk to the King for the fifth time this week. She swam into the castle through the golden gates as big as two elephants standing on top of one another. The door-merman welcomed her in with a smile and a small bow. This wasn't the first time Lydia was there so all the staff members knew exactly who she was.

"Sir, may I speak with you?" She said as she bowed in front of the King while he sat on his throne made of gold and deep sea jewels of all colors. "Of course Lydia, what is it princess?" The King said warmly as he tapped Lydia on the shoulder with his gold and silver scepter, allowing permission to swim closer and speak. She swam a little closer and said "I have a question." "Yes?" King Titus asked worriedly. "Why can't we talk to humans? They don't seem that bad. I've seen some of their relics and they are amazing. They seem to be very intelligent." Lydia said, worried that the king would scream at her for the fifth time this week. "Lydia, again with the same question? You know that they are wicked beings! They killed your parents for petes sake!" "I know but maybe some of them are nice." The King got furious and yelled from the top of his lungs "Oh is that so? Well then let's see how sweet they are! You are banished from this kingdom! Mermaids like you could hurt our species!" "NO! King Titus please don't do this! I-" "No more excuses Lydia! You will learn that the humans are evil creatures!" "How?" "By putting you in their world! Our kingdom has to migrate today, but you will have to stay here without any protection! I will leave you on the beach and let's see who will help you then!" King Titus scolded. Lydia fell on the marbled floor begging the King to let her stay but he had already made up his mind. Even though it hurt him to do it, it was his responsibility to protect his kingdom, Pearlia. He was always like a father to Lydia since her parents died, he saw her grow and become a beautiful and sweet young mermaid, but he had to do it. It was law.

So the king banished her into a hole that was on shore but before he did so, he gave her a necklace. The crystal the necklace was made out of looked like it was made from ice. It was shaped like a heart and had ancient engravings on the back. So ancient that no one knew what it meant. "Get some of the humans' blood IF they help you, put it in the necklace and immediately you will turn into a person, but be careful! Once you touch water you will return back to your current state until you are completely dry." The King said as he pointed his golden scepter at Lydia. And with a blink of an eye, she was in the hole. It had little water so she couldn't last long in there, unless someone helped her.  

 Hello Wattpaders! Welcome to Escape the Sea! I hope you all like it! If you do, don't forget to comment and vote! 

God bless and happy reading!!

~Love