The Lost Boys. Chap 09: Tales from the Past

Chapter Nine

Tales from the Past

Thank God for my mom! 

She was The Man!  A Man with a Plan. 

Well, a Mom with a Plan. But you know what I mean.

By the time we woke up next morning, she already had a whole scheme figured out. She was going to ask her boss at her new law firm for help. He had helped with my application to Sagan Boarding School and he was really influential in the town. He could easily arrange another spot for Tristan at Sagan too! 

Since money was no longer such an issue for us, all we needed to worry about was the paperwork and how to justify Tristan's sudden presence in our lives. She was going to tell her boss some bogus story about Tristan being her step-son and my half-brother, abandoned by his natural mother, and appeal to his good heart to see if he could pull some strings to help us now.

I hoped the plan would work. Especially as it involved Tristan going to school. With me. Because of our special magic bond, wherever I was going to be from now on, Tristan needed to be close nearby. WITH ME! Wasn't that absolutely amazing?

I couldn't believe my luck! It was the best news ever!

I wished I could pack him up in my suitcase and just go already. As a consequence of my mom's brilliant scheming, I also got let off my first week at school. She said I could stay home and help with the arrangements for Tristan's admission. There was a lot of paperwork to fill in, since Tristan, legally speaking, was dead. That was a hard one to explain.

I also needed to help Tris adjust to his new life. It was a brave new world for him. Lots of new modern things happening all around. I laughed so much when he saw the microwave working for the first time. That was so hilarious! His eyes looked like two big saucers. It was like having my own private Back to the Future boy. Only backwards because he was from the past and was now stuck in the future.

Tristan slept on the couch again on his first night at his now official home, but this time he slept alone. We weren't feeling sick so we decided (and by we, I mean Mom decided) that I should go back to my room, where I belonged, and he should stay down there, on the living room couch. Suddenly her matchmaking skills were no longer apparent. What a coincidence they went away when I needed them most.

On Monday after work, Mom started to move her stuff out of the home office so it could be used as Tristan's new bedroom, where he could have a door and more privacy. He tried to protest, but my mother didn't pay him any attention, replying simply that he was being officially adopted and should have his own room in the house. His bed would be arranged soon.

She'd also started researching Tristan's past during her lunch hour, and had found the archive of the local paper at the library – and Tristan's obituary from 1950. It said he was survived by his mother, but her obituary appeared in a later column, my mom discovered. Tristan was really sad when he saw the second newspaper clipping, and from then on my mom tried to be more subtle when she told us the information she was gathering.