One

Love, eternalized.

Taehyung straightens up from the floor tiles he's been meticulously brushing all morning, pushing his stiff arms into a full stretch. His gaze glides across the large fresco directly ahead of him, as a content sigh escapes his lips.

No matter how many times he's seen the painting, the sense of wonder and awe always remains.

In the launguid August afternoon sun, shaded under the oversized canopy he's helped to build, the colors are exuberant, like those of a lucid dream - crimson red from cinnabar, Egyptian blue from baked sand and copper, and deep imperial purple, made from the powder of precious Haematite gems. The scene is of Venus rising from the foamy waves on a large shell. Golden jewelries adorn her neck, wrists and ankles, as her long curly hair flows in the seabreeze against a billowing sail.

Her gaze, serene and enthralling, always seems to stir up something within, quirking his lips into a soft grin.

Some days, Taehyung still can't believe this is his job. After years spent completing his PhD and interning with senior archeologists, he's finally made it - a lead researcher at the Metropolitan Museum of New York, collaborating with Parco Archeologico Di Pompeii on a two-year project to preserve the House of Venus.

And what a house it is: a sprawling villa with endless rooms to explore, and the expansive courtyard and garden in the back with lush shrubs, under the soft glance of the ethereal Venus on the rear courtyard wall.

A sanctuary filled with beauty and nature. He must've been so happy here, Taehyung muses, thinking absently of the owner of the villa. Except he knows, after years of research, of the turmoil and regrets of that life, like hairline cracks hidden within the beautiful fresco.

Taehyung tilts his head and groans at the dull pain in his neck. Apparently, there's a price to pay even for a dream job. As he thinks of the crackers and water he packed hastily this morning in his backpack by the wall, he catches a glimpse of a shadow in the distance, beyond the crumbled walls of the hallway, by the front foyer overgrown with weed.

Taehyung pauses and hesitates. There are a few other projects in the vicinity, but this section of the research area is far away from the main drag of Pompeii, rarely frequented by tourists or researchers. He's used to the solitude amongst the ruins of forgotten past. Strangely, for someone that's usually social and outgoing, Taehyung has never felt lonely here.

The shadow shifts and pops up again. Yep, definitely got a visitor. Taehyung yawns and heads towards the front of the house. Better not be a nosy tourist stepping all over his survey marks again.

Between the broken walls and fragmented shadows, he walks, tiptoeing over remnants of the past. As Taehyung gets closer, he scans over the figure in front of him - white cap, grey hoodie, ripped black jeans, large backpack on his back. A college student, he's guessing, probably American.

"Let me guess, you're lost and your phone died." Taehyung deadpans.

The stranger stares back at him, unabashed. He's young, jet black bangs peeking through the tilted cap, a faint scar by his cheek. "House of Venus, correct?"

"Yeah..." Taehyung tries to remember, in vain, if this house is labeled on the tourist map. He wipes the beads of sweat off his forehead and replies, "Guess I shouldn't assume. This area is just so far away from the main entrance. I've had maybe two people stop by in all of the five months of being here, both lost." He chuckles and scratches his head.

"You work here?"

A sheepish smile, "Yeah, I look the part, don't I?" Taehyung gestures at the sweat soaked tee and loose blue jeans covered in dust and mud.