❆ epilogue

Even though the break between the fall semester and spring semester stretched over a month, the time flew by, and Nevada found herself back in her cramped dorm room by mid-January. Normally, Briarcliff University was a beautiful campus, and it had elements that everyone loved about studying in the Northeast: the four seasons, close connections to the major cities, and large events that kept spirits high even when studies threatened to pull students under.

But today, the campus looked dreary, the sidewalks drenched in rain, puddles forming in the patches of grass that usually served as shortcuts to for students to reach their destinations quicker. Every few minutes, the mild drops turned into a strong downpour, and the sound of raindrops pattering against her window provided background noise as she worked on a paper due in two weeks for one of her classes.

She paused in the middle of her typing to glance out the glass, and another pair of students rushed to the dining hall that stood on the other side of the building, their hoods yanked up over their heads as they failed to keep themselves dry. Watching them, that surge of relief that she'd escaped the rain came over her once again.

With an early class, she'd managed to return to her dorm at a reasonable time before the downpour had begun, and snuggled in her sweats, she'd never felt more comfortable. Using one of the microwavable hot chocolate packets, she'd created a drink for herself, and within the peace and quiet, she felt content.

Her roommate, Angela, had arrived a half hour ago, and she just finished leaving her clothes to dry on the rack. Her wild curls were still wet, but she didn't seem to mind as she crawled onto her bed, pulling a spare blanket over her shivering form.

With minimal conversation exchanged between them, Nevada was no longer bothered by the lack of interaction they had. It wasn't that they didn't get along. They got alone well, in fact. They woke at similar times; they studied in the same environments; they liked the room to be neat. But she still found it difficult to breach that cavern between them.

The sound of her phone vibrating drew her out of her reverie. Nevada shifted her gaze over to her cell, and Sam's contact name appeared on the screen as he texted her. Picking it up, she unlocked her phone long enough to see his message pop up.

A smile filtered across her face at the sight of the three dots that told her that he was in the middle of his response