Chapter 5

Tension stretched like a feline inside that flat, ready to eat up its occupants. Swayam was standing on the half terrace, overlooking Arabian Sea. His hands folded on his chest, blazer discarded long ago, and sleeves rolled up.

Kavya was stuck on the spot of the couch from where she had delivered her side of the story half an hour ago. While he was trying to reign in his anger, she was trying to gather courage to go and talk to him. It was getting late and she was getting fidgety. Keshav must be worried now as to why was she not back home yet.

She stepped onto the half terrace with the intention of talking to him.

But as if he sensed her presence, without turning around he hissed "Get back Inside. Leave me alone".

"Swayam I..." she started.

"GET BACK INSIDE before I throw you off this building!" he yelled. She scuttled inside in a snap, aware of his anger and what he was capable of doing when angry. She decided to call her land lady and inform her so that they would relay the message to Keshav. Where was his land-line? She started looking.

Swayam pinched the bridge of his nose. Truthfully speaking, he wanted to jump off the building himself right now. On this planet full of more than a billion people, he had to go and fall in love with this stupid fool. This lovely stupid fool. This innocent stupid fool. This self-sacrificing idiot. He was right! There is no God. Else with the number of prayers and fasts she did, HE would have given her at least some brains. ELEVEN YEARS! Eleven fucking years apart, for what? For her notion that he would want a child more than her and that too without asking him. Never once did this girl consider asking him what he wanted. He would love to strangle her pretty neck right now, only if he could just resurrect her later!

Just then voices coming from inside grabbed his attention. He turned a little to find Kavya speaking to someone on land-line. The conversation was short. Who was she talking to at this hour? What was so urgent that it could not wait? His brows furrowed. Oh, Keshav, was it? Didn't she say it's just the two of them now? She wasn't married he knew from her resume at the office and he had made sure she does not get time to socialize much in last four months inside office let alone outside it. But eleven years is a long time. His frown deepened. Just then Kavya looked up and found him glaring at her. Keshav, she mouthed as a way of explanation. Of course, the creases on his forehead smoothed out and he turned back to gathering his thoughts.

For his sake. Swayam could not help the bitter sigh that escaped his lungs at this thought. Does she know how many times had he pushed himself into life threatening investigative cases because he believed that there is no one who would shed a tear if he vanishes from the face of earth? That more than his safety, a successful life became important to him which he was hell bent on achieving anyhow? How shrewd he has become in his dealings because he thought that money was the reason she kicked him out of her life? How cold he has become as a person, denying anyone and everyone an entry in his life, preferring to stay alone in his personal hell? How would she know? She conveniently assumed that he would merrily move forward in life. Who makes such faulty plan full of loop-holes and then thrust it on an unsuspecting person altering his life? Of course, Kavya does. He shuddered to think that what if he had married in these eleven years and then would have come to know of all this. It would have ruined him beyond repair. What if she would have never turned up in his life and he would have gone living with the misunderstanding which she had so generously crafted between them? He could feel a headache coming.

But nothing like that happened, and he cannot be thankful enough for the small mercies in the larger schemes of universe.

.