WWYCR: 0.5: chapter five

a/n: i'm back, and i hope you don't mind it. i hope you like the rest of the story as well

-

steve sat at the wooden table in the center of bucky's kitchen, looking up at the man he loved. bucky was at the stove, cooking eggs in a copper pan, flipping them like he did when he and steve lived in brooklyn. pepper and everything, he did it with his orange slang. he hadn't been in brooklyn since the forties, but remembered it all like yesterday. he remembered it now, there wasn't anything to have to remember.

"scrambled." steve stated, bucky's steel turned to him, as if her were joking.

"i remember don't worry, i remember punk." he said, as if the pain wasn't there. as if it were like it was. as if the pink was the only color in the color spectrum; which lasted infinity. steve looked at him with pure pride, in awe and smilies. he did all he could to stay sat down, but eventually stood up.

"i love you jerk." he replied. bucky smiled as he turned off the stove, sliding the eggs onto the plates in front of him. he might've only had one bowl, but he had two plates. bucky knew enough to have two.

"what are we going to do?" steve asked.  bucky shrugged and ate, he took a bite of his eggs, and smiled bigger than he had. steve was happy he was in a pink mood. it was almost as if he didn't wake up in the middle of the night screaming the night before at all. as if the soviet union didn't reside in his head for three hours. making the two unable to sleep fully; just as it usually hit them.

"i don't know, we milked the cows." bucky stated, steve nodded and ate his eggs. bucky ate fast, faster than usual, but steve understood why. he was trapped in another place for a month, with no food and four people he'd never met before. besides peter of course, who he'd fought in germany the other last time he saw him. so red and blue, and only those colors. very to the point, and very blatant. the webs weren't just his power, they were him. he caught himself, and strung himself together. it was in him, bucky noticed it all. symbolism always applied to everyone.

"it's weird seeing you with one arm." steve said, bucky chuckled, and looked to the air where he remembered both the regular, and metal arm being there. how light it felt, how there wasn't any feather there, just air. cold blue and white air that was there anyway. how odd it was. how he liked it so much.

"i like it better, i hated that thing." he stated, steve looked at him in an odd completion. pink, purple, green. his ocean eyes turned, trying to understand. it had saved both of them recently, and they always had standbys for bucky when he needed it.

"why?" steve asked. bucky sighed, using his right arm to hold the stump, caressing it, feeling the emptiness and letting it calm him down, even if steve was right in front of him.

"it killed... so many people. would you want your shield if you knew you used it to murder people on others' command. just for greed. not to save anyone, just for the psychotic minds of evil doers that torchered you. would you want your pain connected to your body to look at and use every day? would you steve?" bucky asked. steve looked at bucky in shock, the older of the two started to breath evenly, calming himself down. he pushed his hair out of his face, reaching his hand across the table to grab steve's in forgiveness.

"sorry i-" "no, i get it now." steve said, he was staring at the stump. it was bare, since bucky was wearing a tank top. he could see small bits of metal that bucky had been picking out for the past few days. but what he paid attention to were the faint starts of red lines, that were much faded. slits and hit like cuts. bucky looked down, realizing where steve had been looking, then looked back up at him with navy in his steel eyes.

"buck, don't tell me th-" "please. please don't talk about it." he stated, steve nodded and stood up, going to the other side of the table to bucky, hugging him and kissing his head softly. his lips clouds to the sky. a pillow to the bed.