Chapter 8

Megans eyes shot opened as she heard the piercing sound of a smoke alarm, she jumped up in panic and looked around, smelling the air, it was coming from the kitchen, she raced into the room desperately, snatching a fire extinguisher and pulling the trigger. "HEY HOLD IT!" There was a yelp of surprise as Leo screamed at her to stop her from squirting the foam all over him. "geezus! wtf are you doing?" Megan dropped the entinguisher and looked around. "I was cooking you breakfast, for your birthday but i guess i can't cook for shit," he grinned. "No wonder, you fricken burned the house down," Megan shook her head, the room was full of smoke, the burnt bacon, eggs and baked beans on toast remain on the bench. She smiled at him, "thanks for the effort anyway," she hugged him gratefully. "We should go out for breakfast, to prevent anymore toxic fumes spreading through the house, good thing the birds are upstairs. They'd be more harmed then us by the stench." She explained to him and grabbed her handbag, at that moment she got a phone call, she had completely forgotten about the job she had applied for. "Hello, Ms Megan ***? I am calling to tell you, you've got the job, you will just need to come in today for a short interview." Megan sighed as she listened to the guy on the line. "Okay, sure I'll be right over after lunch," she replied and hung up. "Who was that? Where are you going?" Leo asked curiously. "Uhhh... I got a job," she grinned. "OMG really? That's great!" He smiled proudly, "but why today? it's your birthday." "It's no different to any other day to me, honestly," she admitted sadly. "It could be, what do you want to do?" He asked curiously, hype af. "Idk, go to pet stores and rescues to play with animals sounds like a good day," she grinned. "What about something better?" He asked, rolling his eyes. "Excuse me, animals are amazing," she hissed, "You have 100 pets," he sighed. "No I have 4 birds and 5 dogs," she pointed out to be exact, "close enough," he shrugged. "We will go to the market," she decided, "we can take some of the ratbags, Rocky, Jet and Jess," she added, not waiting for his reply. He nodded as he knew he had no control. "I'll meet you in the car babe," she yelled with a smirk. Leo strolled to the car and turned it on, whistling silently. Megan grabbed all the harness' from the draws, placing the harness's on the two macaws, then wondering outside to the energetic bunch. She dodged them speedily, trying not to trip and crush her birds. Jess wagged her tail at the sight of the leash in her hand. She placed the harness around her and clipped the long leash to it, walking to the car. "You took long enough!" Leo complained, "you try putting a leash on a dog in front of 4 energetic puppies." Megan rolled her eyes, sitting in the passenger seat as they took off. The car was silent for the 30 minute duration. Megan sat, scratching her two rainbow chickens boredly. The large parrots had been distracted enough that Leo could actually concentrate instead of them flying around being annoying. Meanwhile, Jess chilled in the back seat, glaring at Megan who was completely ignoring her. "Yes, we are here!" Megan gasped, breaking the awkward silence. She raced out of the car, grabbing Jess and heading to the food, leaving Leo behind, "what is wrong with you?" Megan asked, turning and looking at him. "I dont know honestly," he shrugged. "Well snap out of your shitty mood," she frowned, ordering a bucket of chips. "Do i get some of those?" he asked with a wide grin. "Only if you put a smile on your face and help me have a good day, you brought me here," Megan mumbled. Leo snatched the bag and ran off with it before she could say anything else, he laughed as she stood their frozen in confusion, staring at her empty hand. "Wtf bish, get back here!" she laughed, "you stole my food, give em back r face the consequences!" she yelled in a sarcastic voice. "I will release the hound!" she continued, taking off Jess's leash, the dog sat in front of her obediently. Her husky like eyes gleamed at Leo, as her border collie energy lead her in a chase. "Get him!" she smiled as Leo looked down at the dog nervously, "NO JESS!" he laughed, screaming like a girl. The dog jumped on him excitedly, making him drop the chips, Megan picked the bag up and placed it on the table, "stop being a child, get up and eat politely." She bossed him around, he lifted himself up slowly, grinned and sitting next to her. "Put her leash back on before she attacks someone else," he asked, grabbing her by the collar. "She wont attack, only on command, besides she's only playing," she insisted. "Other people wont take it that way," Leo argued, "fine, just to make you happy," she sighed. After a short few minutes of eating the remaining chips, they headed into the market building. "Where do you want to go?" he asked with boredom. "Animal expo area and then clothes/toys, because yolo," she decided. Leo shook his head and followed her through the building, it was like a field trip as it was at the other end, but it was HUGE. "Well this is paradise," Megan smiled, looking around at the room full of animal supplies, animals and activities. "Maybe Yuki should have come," Leo shrugged, "yea you meanie," Megan joked, walking towards the bird area. "Hi!" she spoke in an adoring high pitched voice as she saw birds lined up in cages, she spoke to the dorky little caique that jumped around. "Wow, those are some beautiful macaws you have there," the stall owner commented, admiring their bright feathers. "I know right, their names are Jet and Rocky, i have only had them one year and they drive me insane." Megan spoke with interest to the women in front of her, "Are these your only ones?" the women grinned. "No i actually have a grey and eclectus as well, Jet was my first parrot though," Megan handed Jet to her trustingly. The women excitedly held the bird on her arm, "I've always wanted one, you must be rich," she ended. "Well, my uncle is and my boyfriend is a celebrity so maybe you could say im doing good," Megan shrugged, glancing at Leo. "Whats your name?" the women looked at the handsome boy curiously. "Leondre Devries, im a rapper from Bars and Melody," he spoke quickly, with awkwardness.