14

We fought long and hard. I killed so many vampires. I can still remember the smell. Oh the smell!
The scent of rotting things mixed with flowers and sugar hung in the air for nearly two days. Everyone was hardly injured except Jacob and I. I sustained a serious cut to my shoulder when a vampire scraped me with her nails, but Carlisle stitched it for me. But... Jake got the worst of it with a ton of broken bones. Being werewolves we heal very fast. My cut healed in a little under a week which left a thin scar around my shoulder.
Poor Jacob started to heal immediately and Carlisle had to re-break his bones so they would heal properly. After a week and a half since the fight and he's almost completely healed.
The shrill ring of the telephone ripped me from my thoughts of our recent conflicts with rogue vampires.
"Hey, Maddy, what's up?" I said cheerfully, I hadn't seen my best friend in what felt like forever because she has been living with the Cullen's since her change.
"I need you to come over. Now." Her voice was riddled with panic. Nothing scared her, not even death. It was shocking to hear such fear in her voice.
"Yeah, sure, I'll be over soon." I said and hung up the phone. I folded up my beach blanket and packed my snacks and other sunrise-watching supplies back into my back pack before I slung the straps over my shoulders and marched back to my house.
*****
When I hopped out of my car I was greeted by Bella and Edward, both with a concerned look on their faces.
"What-what is it?" I stammered. They exchanged glances and didn't say anything. Now I was really concerned. Seconds later I was being towed into the Cullen house still no answer to my previous question. Carlisle was waiting for me in the front hall with a puzzled yet nervous look on his face.
"Carlisle, what is going on?" Still no reply, but instead he nodded towards the living room where I saw Alice and Rosalie sitting on either side of Maddy who looked like she was doing the vampire version of crying.
I'm never going to get used to her not showing emotion. I mean, Maddy never cried before... but you could always tell what she was thinking by her eyes.
"Alright, does someone want to tell me what the hell is going on?!" I shouted louder than I meant to. There was a quick exchange of glances and nods around the room.
"Madison is... well, Madison is pregnant." Carlisle said while running a hand through his perfect hair. Finally someone speaks! Oh shit.
"What?" I said looking in Maddy's direction. "I thought that wasn't possible for a vampire to become pregnant. How did this happen?" I asked as I turned to Carlisle for answers.
Leave it to Maddy to ruin some age-old rule of the biology of nature.
"Well, I want to run some tests first, but I think that she has a special ability. Similar to how Edward can read minds and Alice can see into the future. Except, Madison retained some of her human abilities. One of these human abilities is that she can conceive and have children. We all assume it's due to the humanity of her mate."
Mind blown.
"I don't know yet how much this will affect her or if it will affect her at all as a vampire." I was completely shocked. I walked over to hug my best friend.
"Is this something you are happy about? Do I have to beat up Paul and does he know?" I wanted to be sure to support her in anyway she saw fit.
"I am very happy about this. Paul does not know yet, but I'm coming down to the Res to tell him in a few minutes." I exhaled and smiled. I was so happy for her.
I could tell she was nervous to tell Paul, but it had to happen. He had to know he was going to be a father.

MADISON'S POV

My hands were thrumming anxiously on my thigh as I sat in the car. Lauren offered to drive, seeing as I couldn't focus on the road. I was fucking terrified.
Paul and I had made a decision in a heated and emotional moment and now I'm pregnant. I didn't know how Paul would react.
Of course, I wanted him to be happy. I was. I defied unknown laws of how the world worked as a vampire, but I'm fertile somehow. As Carlisle said, 'Madison is a rarity'. I guess I have a lot to live up to.
I didn't realize we had stopped the car until Lauren had gotten out of the car and walked to the other side, opening the door for me.
"Are you ready?" Lauren asked me and I gave quick shake of my head. No, no I wasn't fucking ready. I didn't think I would ever be ready.
I didn't really have a choice, though. Paul had heard the commotion from outside the house, and made his way to the door. He had a coffee mug in his hands as he stood there, concerned.
"Is everything alright?" He asked Lauren before slowly stepping down the steps and trodding closer to us on the cracked gravel of his unpaved driveway.
"Mads," Paul spoke. I had refused to look him in the eye since he had gotten so close to us. I kept my eyes straight on the dashboard of the car, and let out a shaky breath.
So this is what it feels like to be human again.
"Paul, I have to talk to you," I spoke slowly after a moment, breaking the silence.
"Talk to me, baby," Paul said as he set the coffee cup down on the ground and took my cold, soft hands in his. "Whatever it is, we can do this,"
I simply had a moment to decide. I had to tell him. But I was terrified.
"I'm pregnant," I spoke slowly and Paul simply didn't read.
He stood and turned away from me, releasing my hands. I didn't know what was going through his head and I was fucking horrified.
"I'm going to be a dad," Paul whispered in a voice so low that I couldn't have heard it without my gifts.
"Yes... you're going to be a dad," I spoke slowly as I got out of the car. The overcast clouds hugged over us like a security blanket as wind ruffled my hair.
"I'm going to be a dad!" Paul turned around with a smile before hugging me and pulling me into a soft, passionate kiss.
I guess we made the right decision.