Chapter 3: Wounds

Their dinner ended no sooner than around 7 in the evening. Joker took the task of showing 'Dove' to their circus infirmary.

"It seems he ain't here just yet, Dove. Here, let's sit you down." Joker offered, to which she accepted without complaining. Once reclined in a soft medical platform, she winced at the discomfort of putting weight on her tender wings. "Oh, dear me I wasn't thinking!" Joker immediately reacted and put his left arm under her so he could rotate her position so that she now lay on her right side, which was a noticeably more comfortable position for her. Joker sighed in relief. "There we are. The doc should be here to see ye' any minute."

She stared at him in a daze as he took a nearby stool and took a seat in front of her. "Ye' know, I was startin' to wonder if ya couldn't understand me for a while. Guess yer not much of a talker huh?" He attempted at small talk. Her gaze broke his for a moment to stare at his right hand, which was replaced with a skeletal prosthesis. He took notice of her stare. "Oh, this thing? Ha... us first stringers aren't exactly what ye' call a 'normal' bunch." his smile fell slightly into a more thoughtful smirk, and he curled a few of the digits of the false limb. "I was born missin' an arm ya see. And Beast, Dagger too, wear these fake limbs. But that doesn't stop us from tryin' to start a circus." Joker stared into her eyes with a sad frown. "We's all got our flaws, but this circus has brought us together. Even though we just be startin' out, we all know things're gonna be okay."

She stared at him with emotion for his story. Even though it wasn't much, she still felt like she had to share the sadness with him. Her mouth opened dryly as she attempted to make a sound. "I-I'm.... sorry." She breathed. Joker placed a gentle hand on her shoulder. "You shouldn't be the one 'pologizin', love. I don't wan't ye' workin' up yer delicate heart again, ye' hear?" Joker lectured. She took in his appearance more carefully, noticing small details she never thought of earlier. He didn't look like anyone in the circus. All he wore was a worn, tan shirt with a brown jacket over it. They we're just starting out as a circus, so she assumed he didn't have a particular get-up yet. In fact, all the members had on commoner clothing. They all supposedly had loads talent, says Joker. He told her their names before they even arrived at their circus.

"What.. is.. your name?" She questioned after a while. Joker was an obvious stage name and she at least wanted to know his real one. Her question had him staring off into thought. "I'll be honest with ya. I don't have one either. I suppose ye' could say that Joker's me name now." He had a small smile on his face as he focused on nothing in particular. "We've only been a circus just short of 5 months now. Truly, I'm surprised that man even recognized me."

Dove blinked at the mention of her captor, and a sudden question appeared in her mind. "Why did you come?" For once, her voice was clear. Joker snapped out of his daze and stared at the female quizzically. "Pardon, love? What ye' mean?" She repeated herself more explicitly to him, "To my cage. Why did you come to me?"

Joker seemed taken back by her question, as if he had been caught lying. "I... heard from the townsfolk of a 'creature' coming to the East side, but I wasn't really interested at first." He leaned down a little out of obvious fatigue. They had been waiting for the doctor a while now, after all. "But somethin' just... felt wrong when the clock struck 8 this mornin'. I heard a lot o' screamin' from the distance, and from the sounds of em', I got the feelin' that it was you. The creature they brought in. Honest I couldn't stop myself from takin' a gander. Then I saw ye' in there, all chained up..." She felt her heart tingle at the thought of his worry for her. Had he not been there this morning, she would've remained in captivity for years more.

Whatever Joker was about to say was trifled by the cutting ruffle of the tent flap. "Ah, Joker. I see you brought the new one here already." The doctor greeted warmly. The girl noticed his wheelchair, but mentioned nothing. Not like it was anything new when all the members had some form of disability as well. "Oh yes doc. She's all ready for ya. Make sure she's taken good care of ya hear?" Joker's cheerful smile returned to his face and he stood up. "Joker, are you sure you don't need looked at as well? It's been a while since I last checked your arm." The doctor questioned as Joker was about to exit the tent. She wished he would stay, but she didn't show it. "No, I be fine doc. I 'aven't got any troubles so far." Joker reassured and opened the tent flap, but he paused for a moment and looked back at her. He softened his eyes reassuringly at her as she stared back at him. Then he left.

The clinks of metal brought her gaze to the doctor, who was preparing a tray of miscellaneous medical tools beside her. "My, what a mess you are. Don't you worry, I can fix this right quick. You just need to lay there and not think about it." His words made her tense. 'Not think about it' was not something she was comfortable with hearing at the moment.

She found herself unable to move as he held up a bottle of unknown fluid. Her heart sped up and she started to breathe erratically. "Here, you'll feel better a lot quicker with this." He poured the liquid onto a rag and leaned forward. "If you get like this you wont heal correctly." She didn't want to hear it. Something about him struck her the wrong way. He wasn't someone she wanted to be near. She regained some movement and tried to move away, but her wounds made her wince and recoil. "Here." he placed a firm, rag covered hand over her mouth. As she breathed in, she already began to feel faint. Joker wasn't here. She was passing out in front of this man, whom she knew wasn't safe.

...

Snowflakes dusted his pale skin in the ethereal morning light. Gentle notes of a familiar tune filled the air. The words all seemed to mix and fade together, but the melody brought on a nostalgic filter to the bright, grassy meadow.

It was snowing, but it was so warm and soft. The sky was like a canvas of purple and blue watercolor splotches. The small flakes felt pleasantly cool whilst they graced their cheeks, yet left no bead of water behind. It was just them there. The place they sit had no building in sight, and the horizon faded off to a cloudy mist of blue and watered pinks.

Small, white butterflies fluttered around them, as if dancing to the melody of his song. He faced the distance opposite of her. His ginger hair flowed in the gentle breeze and he leaned on one hand. The other sleeve of his brown jacket flowed limply behind him in the wind.

He never moved, and neither did she. The calm of the tune kept an equilibrium in the air around them. But his tone started to falter. The air suddenly got thick and the once delicate, white snowflakes started to form burning specs of ash.

The melody persisted, but his voice cracked. Her heart felt so heavy. The temperature of the surrounding air heated rapidly and the once gentle pastel sky had begun to shatter into pieces of black and red flames. He shuttered, but continued to sing, still facing away. She attempted to cry out, say something, but she was being choked by smoke. As the flames licked the fluttering white insects, they transformed into swarms upon swarms of black and red wasps. They fly erratically in irritation. In the sudden hysteria of the atmosphere, she was gripped by the wrist harshly. He dragged her through the fire and stinging insects in panic, but he still kept up his tune. It was rushed and the once beautiful melody was cut and strangled with sobs.

He didn't know where they were going. They were falling suddenly. The flames that once ate at their skin were replaced with white. Everything was white as they landed. He sat and held her, his voice like silk once more. He turned his head. His skin was glowing in the white around them. The final set of lyrics left his lips in a whisper.

"Over the hills..

And far away..."

...

She awoke alone in the darkness. They had probably left her to rest alone. She attempted to sit up from her position on her side, but thought against it. It was so dark and frightening. She felt around her body to find bandages everywhere. The doctor treated her wounds while she slept. As much as she hated to admit it, she didn't feel as bad because of his treatment.

She pulled her covers over her head and folded her wings in as far as she could. She felt safer under a sheet than out in the open. Her dream ate at her as she lay under her blanket. Whatever it was about, she didn't want to know. It was too real and disturbing. She just wanted Joker right now. As childish as she made herself feel, her desire for his presence nullified her own embarrassment.

She hoped the sun would rise soon.