Chapter 2

By the end of the week I had attended about fifteen business meetings and held conferences with about ten new clients and colleagues. I was both physically and mentally drained as I exited my office and made my way to the coffee bar fixing myself a strong cup of coffee.

Heading back to my office I stopped suddenly when I heard the mention of my name. I normally wouldn't care if people talked about me, but the topic intrigued me and my feet stopped moving as I heard the rest of the conversation.

"And she's still single?" One of them asked. I couldn't make out her voice so therefore I didn't know who it was. Then I remembered that we just hired a new assistant to my own personal assistant and thought that it had to be her.

"No sign of anyone special in her life." The other women said and I instantly knew who it was. It was Sarah, the third receptionist.

"I don't get it, she's a total catch. Who wouldn't want someone beautiful, intelligent, hardworking, and most of all successful? The rest of the world is doomed." The new girl said with a small sigh at the end.

"Why doomed?" Sarah asked.

"If someone as unique as her is still single then the rest of us ordinary people have no hope to find love." She said and that made me cringe a bit.

"Oh relax. Ms. Martez works her ass off all day and night. The only side we get to see of her is as our boss, she doesn't share her personal life with anyone. For all we know she might have someone special in her life and she's simply protecting her from all the vultures she has to deal with." Sarah said.

At that point I had enough of the conversation and I made my self-noticed. My presence made both of them stand straighter and smile sheepishly with a hint of blush to their cheeks probably hoping that I didn't over hear anything that they were talking about. Little did they know I heard the most important of it.

"Good afternoon ladies." I said calmly as I took a sip of my coffee feeling the familiar bitter taste envelope my taste buds before going down my throat.

"Good afternoon Ms. Martez." Sarah said first and then my gaze landed on the new girl and I raised an eyebrow.

"You must be the new one." I said. The girl's posture stiffened a bit but she tried her best to look normal.

"Yes. I'm Caroline Trey." She said in a soft toned voice. I nodded my head.

"Welcome to the company." I said. She said a quiet thank you. "Let's head back to work shall we?" I said motioning for them to walk. They both agreed and just like that they disappeared and so did I.

Reaching my office I looked through my agenda seeing what I had to do next but I didn't get far as I heard the all too familiar knock on my door and I instantly knew who it was.

"Come in!" I called out. The door opened and in walked Claire, Claire Valentine, my personal assistant. She sported a new tan that complemented her light colored brown eyes and I must admit that it suited her very well.

"Hello Ms. Martez." She spoke flashing me her white teeth as she made her way towards my desk.

"Claire. How was Thailand? I hope you bring me good news." I said motioning for her to take a seat.

"Oh it was wonderful. I can't thank you enough for the opportunity. And yes, I have amazing news, I think you'll be pleased." She said batting her eyelashes at me with a small smile on her lips.

"Great! I expected nothing less." I said.

"If this a good time to talk and go over everything? I can come back later if you want me to." She said and I was glad she was the one to bring this up.

"How about you come back in about an hour or so. I need to make a phone call and then we can talk." I said. Claire smiled and stood up from the chair as she made her way out the door.

There was this flirty sway of her hips when she walked and I always wondered if she did that on purpose when she was with me. The only reason I said this was because I've watched her walk and her hips never swayed the way they did when we were alone. I didn't have to see her face in that moment to know that she most likely had a smirk on her face. She was gone moments later and I thought about the conversation between Sarah and Caroline.

In my thirty three years of living I had yet to find the perfect woman. I wasn't asking for much, just honestly and love but I guess that was too much. Every woman I ever met in my life had only ever been interested in what I owned, what I was worth, what I could give. Never me. That last thing I needed was a back stabbing bitch who'd fuck the next billionaire she could get her hands on. I'd rather stay alone and that's what I did.