Darkness Keeps Chasing Me

When (Y/N) first wakes up, she knows something's wrong. Her alarm hasn't gone off yet, and the sky is still dark outside. The her mattress shifts, and she notices that her door is open. (Y/N) adjusts her position, turning to face the familiar, dark figure sitting on her bed and addressing him in a sleepy voice. "Hey, Gabe. I thought you weren't going to have time off from the base until next week." Her boyfriend doesn't respond, just removes his armor and boots and gets under the covers with his back to her, not even taking off his signature beanie. (Y/N) starts to feel worried. "Gabriel? What's wrong, babe?" There's still no response from the other side of the bed. (Y/N) is fully awake now as she sits up slightly, reaching over to put a hand on his shoulder. He gives no reaction, but she can feel how tense he is. "Come on, talk to me..."

Opening my eyes

Seems like it gets harder sometimes

Look at the skylight

Would you mad at me if I tried running away to it in the night?

I tried to fight

But I'm not strong enough

I just want you here but I also wanna be alone

I don't know what I want anymore

Gabe lets out a deep breath, then rolls over to face her, and (Y/N) finds herself being dragged down into a hug, his face buried in her shoulder and his arms tight around her waist. She returns the gesture, rubbing his back gently. "How many did you lose?" His voice is muffled as he responds. "Four. I don't even have bodies to send to the families..."

(Y/N) pulls the beanie off of his head, and presses a kiss to the top of his head. There's nothing she can say.

Every now and then

The darkness tries to chase me

And my legs are getting tired of running

Oh, please don't

Please don't let it get to me

Oh, I don't wanna give up that easily

But the darkness keeps chasing me

After a long stretch of silence, Gabriel mutters, "Hernandez wasn't much older than Fareeha or Brigitte. Mertens had two kids."

"I know, I know." (Y/N) runs one hand over his close-cropped hair. He tightens his hold on her. "I should have done something. I shouldn't have even let them go on that mission. We didn't have enough intel."

Hiding places remind me of you and I

I wanna call you

But if I hear your voice

I just might cry

And I don't even know what the song's about, anymore

And I don't know what I want, anymore

(Y/N) leans back and moves her hand from the top of his head to his cheek, looking him in the eyes. "Gabe, you can't blame yourself every time. Nobody could have know that it would happen." He leans into her touch, and she can feel the stubble on his cheek scratch gently against her palm.

Every now and then

The darkness tries to chase me

And my legs are getting tired of running

Oh, please don't

Please don't let it get to me

Oh, I don't want to give up that easily

But the darkness keeps chasing

"When are the funerals?"

"Next Wednesday. I need time to get the tickets for their families approved. Maybe Morrison can pull some strings." He pulls her up against him again, kissing her forehead. "Go back to sleep, cariño. You don't need to stay up and worry about this."

Weather streams down my cheeks

Look to my eyes

See you're blowing smoke in your ripped jeans

Don't tell me you fell in

The darkness is already seeping through

Oh, can't you see?

I will be different

I'm not sure if I can do it all alone

God, I want to be different

But I'm not sure if I can do it on my own

(Y/N) narrows her eyes at him. "I don't think so, Gabriel. If you're awake, I'm awake." She gives Gabe a gentle kiss, then rests her forehead against his. He takes a deep breath, his grip on her tightening once again. "Ok."

'Cause every now and then

The darkness tries to chase me

And my legs are getting tired of running

No, no, no, no, please don't

Please don't let it get to me

Oh, I don't want to give up that easily

It's quiet for a few more minutes, and (Y/N) feels herself starting to fall back asleep. Then she heard Gabe's voice, barely louder than a whisper. "Can you call in sick to work tomorrow?"

"Of course I can, babe. I'll stay with you as long as you need." She feels him nod, and he relaxes. She sees his eyes close, and allows hers to do the same as she drifts off once again.

But the darkness keeps chasing me, me, me, me