Chapter 2

It turns out there was a next date, and one after that. In a few weeks, the two of them were officially dating. It was complicated, especially trying to keep work and personal life separate. The hardest part for (Y/N) was having to decide what Jack might need from her during a certain situation: his girlfriend or his assistant. She did her best to keep the two roles separate; work time was for work. About six months later, (Y/N) comes into work, only to be stopped at the office door by Athena. "Miss (L/N), I thought it best to inform you that the Strike Commander did not leave his office yesterday." A slight feeling of concern overtakes her. "Really? Usually he's out of the office as quickly as possible."

"I know that that behavior is odd, which is why I thought I should tell you." It does explain why she didn't see him at all after work yesterday. "You should also know that I have no indication that Commander Morrison slept last night."

(Y/N) sighs, shaking her head. "Not again. He can't keep working himself like this. Thank you for letting me know, Athena. I'll see if I can get him to take a break."

"Of course, Miss (L/N). Good luck." (Y/N) takes a deep breath, and then pushes open the door. Jack looks up from his desk, dark shadows visible under his eyes. He's still wearing his dress uniform from his meeting with the UN council from yesterday, though it looks more wrinkled than it did before. "Good morning, (Y/N)."

It's decision time. What does Jack need from her right now? As she looks over his tired, stressed face and slumped frame, her choice is made very simple. She takes a few hesitant steps towards his desk. "Jack, what's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong." He refuses to meet her eyes. She takes another step forward. "Jack, please don't lie to me."

"I told you, nothing's wrong. I just... had work to do." She crosses her arms. "Look me in the eyes and say that again."

Jack looks up at her. "I'm..." He looks down at his desk and covers his face with his hands. "I swear I'm fine. Let's just work." (Y/N) finally loses her patience. She walks quickly to the other side of the desk, turning his chair around to face her. "Jack Morrison, you're going to tell me what's wrong with you now, or I'm going to go get someone who won't be as nice as me."

He looks like he wants to argue, but instead he stands up, causing her to take a few steps back. He reaches towards her and grabs her by the shoulders, pulling her up against him. His hand travels up to her chin, tilting her head back as he leans down and drags her forward into a hard kiss. He pulls away, staring at her, a conflicted expression etched into his face. "Say no to me?" She just stares at him for a moment, trying to figure out what he means. "Jack, what—"

"Just do it, please?" He leans in to kiss her again, and she puts a hand on his chest, pushing him back. "No, Jack, we need to talk about this."

His shoulders sag with relief, and Jack falls back into his chair. "Thank you."

(Y/N) puts her hands on her hips. "What exactly are you thanking me for?" He hesitates, as if he's trying to find the right words. "Jack, what's bothering you?"

"You don't feel obligated to date me, do you? You're not staying because you're afraid I'll fire you or something like that if you tell me no?" Oh. "Of course not! Where did you get that idea?"

"I don't know." He leans forward, putting his head in his hands. "I just... I really care about you, (Y/N), and I don't want you to be with me just because you're afraid of me."

She's been worried about this. Of course, people have been talking about them. Someone who's in the public spotlight as much as Jack is can't do anything without rumors about them. She'd just hoped that maybe the two of them could stay above it. Obviously it had finally gotten to him. "Jack, look at me." He does, and she sees the uncertainty in those blue eyes. "What do I need to do to prove to you that I'm here because I want to be?"