The fault in our stars - Theory

Theory One

We know Hazel-Grace Lancaster has lung cancer, but what if Hazel was actually in hospital through out the whole book.  There is every possibility Augustus Waters was just a hallucination caused by lack of oxygen to the brain. When doctors and nurses were finally able to provide enough oxygen to her brain, Augustus disappeared. This causing his death. This would also explain why her time with Augustus was so perfect and flawless, like a dream. Augustus was in a way, an angel created by Hazel-Grace's mind. She was the one who truly was, afraid of oblivion. 

Theory Two

Before Augustus lost his battle to cancer, he came up with a plan. All tests were taken and all paper work was signed by his parents, and himself. A short while after Augustus past, Hazel received a call from the hospital saying they had cancer free lungs that could take the place of her crappy lungs. She had surgery without asking to many questions, but really she was just happy to have a second chance at life. Only after she woke up from surgery was she told that the healthy lungs that she was replaced with, were Augustus'. He gave her his healthy lungs as a final gift. He knew he wouldn't have the life with Hazel he wanted but giving her his lungs would mean he would be with her forever. 

"Some Infinities Are Bigger Than Others"