Chapter 28

Grace undid the knot her box braids were in, sighing in relief at the pressure on top of her head being gone. She placed the rest of her tips into her wallet. She said her good byes to her co-workers as she made her way out and onto the busy streets. She made her down the street, putting her earbuds into her ears and blasting her playlist entitled, "In Love With an Asshole."

It was filled with a bunch of love songs that eventually transitioned into sad songs about unrequited love. This was her way of coping. It didn't actually help with anything, of course, but it did play out well with her long nights snuffing her face with ice cream and thinking about Beau. Wondering if he missed her or regretting lieing to her...

Hell she missed the whole Ashford clan.

But missing them didn't help anything. She turned the corner and made it to the motel she was currently shacking up in. She made enough money over the last five months "working" for Beau to afford another apartment. But thanks to all that had happened, she had decided on something cheaper for now, liking the idea of saving up so that her bank account shinned whenever she went to look at it and the prospect of losing another job wouldn't hurt her so bad.

She was all caution now. She had managed to get a job as a waitress at the diner down the street and for now, it would do. She swiped her keycard over the door panel and pushed her door open. She pulled her earbuds out and tossed them onto the bedside drawer. She did the same with her keycard and her wallet. As she moved to place her phone on her bed it suddenly vibrated, a notification in her calendar popping up. She unlocked it, swiping up to read it.

Grand Opening 12pm

She clenched her phone tight in her hands before tossing it onto the bed. Her heart was pounding in her ears as she moved to the bathroom and began to strip, turning on the shower. She would not think about Beau right now. He's not worth it. He's not worth it. He was telling me a sob story for all I know.

The water was hot against her skin, stealing her thoughts for the moment.

---------------------------------------

Beau fumbled with his tie. He felt like a monkey in a fucking suit. He ran a hand across his ran, breathing in and out. He didn't even want to be here.

The interior of the new hotel was all auburn's and dusty mahogany's. The lighting was low, seductive in a way. Chantell stood beside him, wearing a nude sleek dress that contrasted against her dark skin well. Will stood on his left, wearing a suit as well, but he seemed more suited for the fucking monkey suit. Beau was on edge. And the camera's flashing before them and podium mike stand waiting to be used was the least of his worries.

Chantell elbowed him in the ribs, getting his attention.

He couldn't believe he was about to do this. He walked to the podium, a stiff smile on his lips. "Hello, welcome to grand opening of the first Ashford Hotel installation outside of Texas. LA was a first choice pick for the placement of location. Adding by account tourism destination spots as well as themed venues, we have processed that the profit margins will be beyond what we expected."

He took a deep breath. He could do this. He opened his mouth to speak but suddenly froze up. What the hell was he doing? Professing his love for Grace on a national conference didn't feel right. Grace needed to know how he felt, but not like this.

Chantell moved closer to him, smiling, "What are you doing?"

He sighed, stepping away from the podium and snatching his tie off, "I love you, Chantell. But this-," he pointed to the podium and microphone and wave of cameras and reporter's standing before them, "ain't me. I'm gonna do this my way. You two take care of this."

He patted Will on the back and ran past the crowd, heading out the back door with purposeful footsteps.