One - Transition

I clenched my jaw and kept my eyes staring straight ahead. I kept reminding myself to keep my face passive, especially in public like this. I didn't want anyone to become any more scared than they already were. None of them deserved this. I didn't deserve this. Yet here we were.

An animated voice finally broke through my wall of indifference. He spoke beside me on the podium.

"We hope the transition is going well, now that you've been acclimating to Vega for a couple months. My beloved adopted daughter, Juliet Benson," he gestured to me. I shifted but stayed relaxed,as to not raise any alarm.

"Daughter of the late Dr. Kimberly and Dr. Evan Benson, has been working with my transition staff to make sure that your voices are heard. Juliet? Would you care to speak?"

Not a question, just phrased like it was. I had no option but to speak. Refusing meant something was wrong. I looked out into the crowd of humans and Veah civilians. My eyes landing on Veah who were dressed in uniform; always a military presence, but they were only here "for just in case". Those humans in the crowd, they knew this was wrong, but they played along just like me. Some of them would eventually forget how wrong this was, to submit and conform to conquerors; but some of them, like me, would always know.

I took the General's place at the podium.

"Hello everyone," I spoke easily. They had coached me well for this position. I avoided thinking about this speech being broadcasted over the entire planet of Vega.

"I am Juliet Benson, and I am but one human diplomat who is working to ensure that our needs as humans are met."

I looked into the eyes of the humans closest to the stage. Their eyes were normal. Normal, dull human eyes: green, blue, brown, hazel, grey, whatever. At least they were dull in comparison to those of the Veah, whose eyes shown like shining blue nebulas giving birth to stars, deep within the heart of the galaxy. It made me sick; I used to like blue. I still had trouble keeping eye contact for long spans of time because of their ethereal beauty.

"We, are safe here." It was a lie, and I made sure that those whose eyes I met, knew it. I only looked at the strong ones. The humans who already knew what the situation was.

"The transition stations set up throughout the city are there for you to make requests, suggestions, or talk to authorities about any problems and complaints you may have. All of those suggestions go to our human transition staff and are discussed with fever. We are diplomats, and we are working with our Veah neighbors to make life comfortable for both of our species."

People in the crowd started clapping, but I knew the applause was started by planted Veah officers in civilian clothing. It was just one of many deceptions.

**

"Are you Juliet Benson?"

I hadn't been sure who was talking, and I just nodded at the voice, not really seeing anything in front of me.

"Juliet, I know you're in shock right now. But you have to understand, we are not the bad guys."

I looked at him then, and saw the older gentleman with sparkling blue eyes. I looked at him and let the lie ring through my ears. Not the bad guys? My eyes narrowed ever so slightly, and I wondered if I simply looked confused to him.

"You don't deserve any of this sweetie," the man said and made the bold move to cup my cheek. "I have to tell you though before rumors are spread to hurt you. Your parents, Juliet–"

I didn't hear the end of that sentence. I already knew what it was. They were dead.

"As we were evacuating, a strong hold of Keronians lit the lab your parents were working in on fire. It was an attempt to trap our own soldiers inside. Your parents were caught in the Keronian plot."

This time I was confused. Those words truly didn't make sense. They didn't match with what I had seen, with what I myself had done.

**

"I truly hope you will use those transition stations to their full potential. We want this peace between our species to be a lasting one." My last word rested on a man in the crowd. A man I had met the day I was taken. I had refused to acknowledge his presence for the entire month I had been here. Only speaking to him when absolutely necessary, which thankfully was very little.

His eyes narrowed, but I bowed my head when the applause began again. I stepped away for General Marin to once again take the podium.

I knew exactly why it was me who had been "adopted" by him. It was because I was born to the brilliant minds of Kimberly and Evan Benson. They were pillars of the community, and the only people who were trusted with the people's sensitive information. The Veah thought that if a Benson sat at the foot of the most powerful man on the planet, surely he could be trusted.

For some, that was exactly what my presence did. It soothed those humans who didn't want to believe that their lives were still in danger. But for others, for the humans who payed attention to every single word I spoke and the way I spoke it, they knew the promise I was making.

The promise of sitting still, looking pretty, playing the part, and then striking from the inside. The humans who heard what I was saying, what I was truly saying, lowered their heads in a single nod.

They would be right here, waiting.