Chapter 7

Chapter 7

February 1st

At lunch time, Isabella was happy to be at the library. This library was completely different to her old school's library. This one was much bigger and fancier and more modern. The walls were lined with computers and Isabella wasn't sure how many there were.

But this was a great selection of computers. As Isabella walked to a computer to have a brief look at it, she continued to look around. These computers were so advanced and new and she couldn't wait to get a chance to use one. It was going to be so exciting.

As she looked around, Isabella could see that there were many shelves that housed thousands of books. Isabella assumed that there was a large area that had many tables for students to work on. Down at the end of the library was the year twelve study area and as the students headed there, on the left of them was the fiction area, where the novels were kept.

Isabella walked over to the non-fiction area and tried to find the shelf that the book she needed might have been on. She wasn't having any luck, she decided, but she continued to look, anyway.

"Is there anything I can help you find?"

The voice made Isabella jump, but it didn't take her long to work out that it was just the librarian. According to the other students, the librarian had a wonderful reputation in helping students find what they were looking for. Isabella brushed her black hair out of her eyes and she looked at the librarian. She looked to be about as old as Mr and Mrs Doyle and she had a kind and warm tone to her voice. Isabella liked this.

"I am just looking for a book that could help me," Isabella explained, "but I don't know what to look for."

"Okay, then, tell me what you think you are looking for."

"Do you have any books on the history of this town? I know this is just a school library but what's wrong with hoping?"

"That's okay, follow me, I think I have just what you need."

The librarian led Isabella to the section that she needed and Isabella was amazed at how many books were there for her to use. Isabella looked at the lady and accepted the books she was offering her. Then Isabella walked over to a table with the books and then she began looking through them.

There were so many books here and Isabella didn't know where to start. Isabella decided to just choose one randomly and she flicked to the index, looking for something that would lead her closer to the end of The Doyle Mystery, as she had been secretly referring to it in her mind.

Isabella then looked at the time. She had five more minutes of lunch and she wondered how many books she would be able to borrow. She picked up the pile of six books and then she went to the circulation desk. The librarian smiled at her when she arrived.

"How many books am I allowed to borrow?" asked Isabella.

"What year level are you in?" replied the librarian.

"Year eleven."

Isabella wondered why she needed to tell her what year level she was in. But she didn't complain and she didn't ask any questions about it.

"You can borrow all six if you want," said the librarian.

"Really? Is that because I am in year eleven?" replied Isabella.

"Yes. Year elevens and twelves can borrow up to six books. The younger year levels can't."

"Well, can I borrow all of them?"