chapter one.

Rays of sun beamed brightly through the cool, crisp air surrounding Rito Village. The gentle murmurs and laughter of the inhabitants along with the smell of fresh wood shavings calmed the tired knight ascending the many stairs adorning the sides of the tall rock structure. Princess Zelda had occupied herself with discussing the matter of Calamity Ganon with the Rito elder, how she was in need of the assistance of a uniquely skilled Rito warrior. So, in the meantime, Link decided to explore his surroundings, taking in the oddly built houses and hammocks, slowly making his way up flight after flight of stairs. The blue clad knight very much enjoyed this opportunity to discover unknown areas of Hyrule, new cultures, new people. He allowed a soft sigh to escape his lips, walking slowly out on some kind of platform. It served as a good place to view the surrounding nature, so Link indulged himself. Closing his eyes for a moment, he basked in feeling the sun against his face.

      Link stumbled. His hair blew around him. A small gasp. The platform creaked slightly as an incredibly strong gust of wind circled beneath it, sending leaves flying rapidly into the air. The knight steadied himself as he stared up at the sky in confusion, before a navy blue Rito soared into his eyeline. They soon cupped their wings, landing gracefully on the wooden rail with a confident stature and a golden glow from the beaming sun. The identity of this person clicked into place in Link's mind. Revali. Rito warrior.

" Impressive, I know." A smooth-toned voice boasted, a slight smirk forming upon his beak. " Very few can achieve a mastery of the sky." Revali continued, wrapping his wings around himself whilst never breaking his gaze upon Link, who felt as if the Rito's eyes were burning into him. " Yet I have made an art of creating an updraft that allows me to soar..." he gestured his wing in a swooping motion, animating his descriptions for the soldier before him. Link upheld the eye contact, painfully aware of Revali's high opinion of himself, as it was hardly something to miss. " It's considered to be quite the masterpiece of aerial techniques, even among the Rito." The navy feathered boy stepped to his side, sweeping his wings around him to clench his fists, slyly observing Link to see his obviously dumbfounded reaction. A hint of disgust flitted across Revali's emerald eyes. No reaction at all. And so, the taller male continued. " With proper utilisation of my superior skills, I see no reason why we couldn't easily dispense with Ganon. Now then..." he cooed, stepping off the railing and onto the platform with ease. " My ability to explore the firmament is certainly of note..." Revali took confident strides to stand beside Link, basking in the fact he was taller. He placed his wing on his chest. " But let's not - pardon me for being so blunt - let's not forget the fact that I am the most skilled archer of all the Rito." He peered down at Link with a wider smirk adorning his beak. Nothing. The warrior took a deep breath, swearing to himself not to let his bitterness show. " Yet despite these truths," Revali circled round the back of Link. " It seems that I have been tapped to merely assist you." He now stood on the other side of Link, narrowing his eyes at him in a hunt for any kind of response to all his attempts at intimidation. " All because you happen to have that little darkness sealing sword on your back." Revali pointed a feathered finger into Link's face, hoping that would annoy him enough to at least retort. 'Say something, shitbrain!' He thought, the frustration finally getting to him as he clenched his fist, scowling exasperatedly up to the clear sky above. " I mean it's just... asinine." He halted for a moment, smiling maliciously and leaning into Link. "Unless, you think you can prove me wrong? How about we settle this one on one?" The navy blue Rito could jump with delight at his cunning plan. " But where?" He questioned with faux innocence, looking around him in a confused fashion. " Oh I know! How about up there?" He asked Link, gesturing grandly to Vah Medoh, his Divine Beast, flying high above their heads. It seemed to gleam in the sunlight. Link felt his face heat up ever so slightly, not enough to make his cheeks go red, however. " Oh, you must pardon me." The other chuckled with a sickening grin. Revali turned his back on Link, opening his wings out to his sides. " I forgot you have no way of making it up to that Divine Beast on your own." He snarled, immediately performing Revali's gale with perfection, causing Link to stumble as he soared into the sky. The Rito wasn't finished yet however, turning to yell back to the knight once more. " Good luck sealing the darkness!" He cried, and turned to fly up to Vah Medoh, having never felt so utterly disrespected and frustrated in his life.

" Dick. " Link mumbled under his breath, taking rather heavy steps back towards the rest of the village with the intention of rooting out the princess.