chapter two.

Link wasn't one to be intimidated. The teen was, without a doubt, one of the most determined and goal driven individuals in Hyrule; that payed off, no denying it. So, when his lack of experience in terms of social interaction hindered him from preventing the princess leaving Rito Village without him, Link was more than frustrated.

" He hates me. He'll come nowhere near me." Link had reasoned with Zelda in his rather gravelly, low tones; speech being a rare thing for the Knight. She had refused him however, insisting that this ' hate ' must be changed into at least civility, for the sake of the rest of the champions. So, before Link knew it, he was watching Zelda ride away with three other knights, as his replacement. He was quite baffled as to how King Rhoam had agreed to this, although, he was very committed to the cause. " Two weeks," he muttered, sitting cross legged on the wooden platform he had visited the day before.

The gentle sound of talons tapping against the wood grew progressively louder as a familiar voice stifled a chuckle. "So..." the voice cooed. Link almost shuddered. " Dumped by your girlfriend ?" Revali teased, perching himself on the wooden railing besides the blonde, earning himself a fleeting glance at most. God, why was he so blank? The Rito sighed, wrapping his wings around his middle. " How about you stop sulking on your own and take me up on our little duel?" He asked with an unmistakably patronising tone. But, as previously stated, Link was not one to be intimidated. Thus, the feathered boy earned himself a singular nod from the other, which was, well, enough for him. " Get up then, the flight range awaits." Revali cried, gesturing with grandeur to the distant training ground. Link responded by simply looking up at him with narrowed eyes, as the flight range was clearly more suited to a Rito. " Go on..." Revali spoke softly, leaning down towards him. "Indulge me."

The knight blinked at the other's face being so close to his, and clambered up hastily to avoid it prolonging. The Rito grinned. " Perfect!" He began to flap his wings, hovering just above Link. " See you there..." he turned. " If you can make it."

And soon, Revali was a dot in the sky. Link thought fast, jumping into the updraft with his paraglider ready, and slowly made his way over to the flight range. He was absolutely certain that he would prevail over the arrogant Rito, gritting his teeth slightly as he clenched the handles of his paraglider.

" Took your time." Revali teased as the knights footsteps sounded against the wooden floor behind him. Link ignored his foolish remark and took out the royal bow that he had been gifted from the King Rhoam himself from his back, plucking the string a couple of times to test its condition. Perfect. He was ready, to prove himself to Revali.

The other simply chuckled at the sight of the royal bow, stroking the smooth edges of his Great Eagle bow, hand crafted for aerial combat edging on perfection. This seemed to catch Link's attention, who stared at the bow inquisitively, eyebrows furrowed slightly. The taller male took pleasure in this sight, emotion. Reassured him that the knight wasn't completely devoid of the capacity to feel. " Jealous? " he questioned with a satisfied smirk plastered on his face. " This beauty is hand-crafted by none other than myself..." Revali held out the bow infront of Link, moving it round slowly to face out towards the targets. " It's structure allows perfect accuracy and precision even from distances such as this." He pulled a bomb arrow out from his quiver, and took aim at a distant target. His stance was admirable, arms strong and clearly experienced, feet placed in a confident fashion. " It's truly, an aerial combat..." The arrow flew like it was destined to meet the bullseye, and it did. The explosion echoed round the otherwise silent surroundings. " Phenomenon." The word fell off of his tongue with great pride, turning to face Link, Revali held his breath in anticipation. Would Link respond? The knight nodded, in appreciation of this evidently impressive bow. The Rito seemed to enjoy this, a smile spreading out across his beak. It dropped however, a twinge of something Revali couldn't describe occurred in his stomach. His expression darkened. He simply would not accept that a mere nod of approval from Link would excite him so. "Well, let's begin." The taller male grumbled, pointing out to he targets. " First to hit all of them wins. Time to prove yourself, hero." Revali practically spat, taking off in an instant with bow at the ready. The blonde knight hesitated momentarily, confused as to why the other became suddenly so angry. He soon came to his senses, as, to put it simply, losing was not an option.

The battle had begun. Revali swooped and dove around Link, bomb arrows exploding left, right and centre. The knight was holding up however, time seemed to slow as he aimed and fired, his crystal blue eyes locked and focused on his targets. The Rito lacked this tactic, however, the unwavering focus. He was, in truth, dividing half his attention to how far Link had gotten, how many targets had two arrows in them. Unfortunately for him, the other was slightly closer to the last target when they both noticed it was bare. Revali dove at full speed, bow held in his talons, letting out a desperate cry as the wind lashed at his feathered face.

What? No. The Rito hovered there, in shock, his brain not quite processing what he saw infront of him. There was an arrow in the bullseye. Link. He'd won. Beaten Revali at his own game, his own lifelong dedication.

Revali felt his eyes burn, and so he took off as fast as he possibly could, vover the top of the flight range and back to Rito Village, his feathers wet with tears. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀☾ ☾ ☾

author's note-
hello! thanks for reading. I hope you enjoy this story and want to see the next chapter. Leave me some comments on who you'd like to see make an appearance in future chapters and I'll see what I can do...🌺